Bloody Stool possible injury? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Bloody Stool possible injury?

Thanks for the warm welcome. Unfortunately, I have registered to obtain advice regarding my sick Hedgehog Dexter. He is 3 years 5 months old. He has had no health problems up until now. Where to start...?
Well first off my partner and I went on a 3 week vacation. we have been home for approximately 2 weeks or so. When we were on vacation Dexter was well taken care of , We hope, by an elderly friend.
We generally feed him Imes cat food, supplemented by small amounts of chicken, shrimp, and occasionally free dried meal worm as a treat.
A little over a week ago Dexter suffered an injury or illness. It is so hard to tell. He may have been mishandled accidently during a visit to our Grandmother's. At any rate we noticed that his water dish had been upset or just emptied and estimate that me may have been with out water for about 24 hours.
Upon refilling his water. I noticed that he seemed to be dehydrated. His eyes were sunken and he was very listless. He immediately drank a great deal of water and I thought no harm no foul. However I checked him about 10 min later and it looked like he had possibly spit up some of the water. There was a green bubbly substance which he appeared to have spit up.
Determining that he was dehydrated. I made a rehydration solution with sugar and salt. He was drinking that with some success. However he seemed to be continuing dehydrated. I then noticed that not only was he listless. He started to have bloody diarrhea. This was all with in 12 hours of attempting to rehydrate. We called several vets and had problems finding an exotic vet that would see him.
We drove an hour to the nearest vet we could find that would see him. Note I have no idea if the vet had any experience with Hedgehogs. But he was seen. The vet asked for permission to sedate him with gas in order to better examine him. We agreed. The vet gave him some gas and examined him. He noted the bloody stool. He said he would feel him for tumors injury etc. He made no comment regarding any of that. He said he was indeed dehydrated and gave him fluids via subcutaneous injection. When he presented Dexter back to us He said he wasn't that far gone and that he should be feeling better. Dexter was in fact more lively and moving more like his normal self.
We went home and several hours later Dexter seemed to be listless again. His bloody stool seemed watery. However it also seemed like he was having a hard time pooping. I noticed that he seemed to be swollen on both sides of his anus. It also seemed like he was dragging his back left leg somewhat. We called the vet and sent pictures of all this. He prescribed some antibiotic metronidazole 5 (mg?) which was compounded at a local pharmacy. He liked the medicine and had about 5 days worth 2 times a day. I continued the rehydration fluids to the point of feeding him via syringe. We also got the Hills A/D prescription food, which he picks at he has only eaten less than a full can In this past week. Usually he will eat a little if I feed him then he loses interest.
I think the bloody Stool has stopped for the most part but its hard to tell as he doesn't seem to be pooping all that much as he's not eating all that much. He seems to breathe shallow most of the time. He does get up and walk around a little bit but noting like normal he still seems week and listless. I have put a heating pad under his fleece or cotton toweled bedding. I just don't know what to do it has been about a week since the vet saw him. Any advice to help Dexter and even just a shoulder to cry on would be appreciated. PS I can attach pictures but I'm not sure how to do so.
Gemini_70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

I would take him back to the vet and get more fluids for him. He may still be dehydrated. You need to syringe feed him the Hill A/D to get more food into him. The less he eats the less he's going to feel like eating.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

We are sad to announce that our Hedgehog, Dexter, passed away at about 7:40 this evening. He had been to the vet a week ago. We gave him antibiotics, a heating pad for his pen, fed him by hand and showered him with all our Love. He was almost four years old and he brought us a smile everyday. He loved sleeping under Wolfe or the down comforter, and playing hide and seek every chance he got. I never really had a pet before, and I now understand when people say they become part of your family. He was our Baby Dexter and his Daddies will always love and miss him. Hogs and Kisses Dexter
Gemini_70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good night Dexter. The world was a little bit brighter with you in it. We'll miss you baby.��
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bloody stool, constipation, dehydratation, dragging back legs, dragging belly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in