Vomiting - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2019, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vomiting

Hello,

This past weekend Twiggy vomited a little. It was after I gave her some meal worms and had her out playing. I kept her on her regular cat food and thought maybe the worms gave her an upset stomach. So I got rid of those worms and she hasn't had them since. Tonight, I went to take her out and noticed some dry vomit in her house. It was yellowish/beige. I am going to call the vet tomorrow but has anyone experienced this with their hedgehog? I am not sure what could be causing it. Her food hasn't changed and there are no new fragrances used in her cage either. Her routine hasn't been off. She's been acting normal and eating and drinking. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
JeaNet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

We called the vet and we are bringing her in tomorrow. Has anyone else had this issue who can share some insight and let us know what it could be and what we may be able to do. Just worried and would like some insight. Appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks
Cm416 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Sadly, no one here can really tell you what it could be. There are lots of possibilities that cause vomiting. I’ve seen it with hedgehogs that had a variety of problems. Sometimes it was just a gag response because of a tooth issue, and I've seen it from major health problems. Record how often it has happened, take a picture of what it looked like, examine it closely, tell your vet its color, is it mucousy, all food, etc. Record activity levels, eating normally, etc. And give all that information to your veterinarian.

In the meantime, keep your little one warm and make sure he is drinking plenty.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the input. We are going to see the vet tomorrow. We'll see what she thinks. I'll be sure to have all of that information for the vet visit.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hey, I’ve been having similar issues with my boy Yuki. He has had bouts of vomiting for over a year as well as other issues (swollen gums and foaming at the mouth to now quill loss). We went to the vet multiples times last summer and fall and it turned out he had gingivitis. I don’t know if it’s a separate issue or related but recently he has started vomitting again after I started introducing more insects to his daily diet again.

We are going to take him back to the vets but the only pattern I can see forming is the amount of insects he eats and possibly allergies to his cat foods.

Of course there can be many other things causing it so best to go the vet to rule out the most serious things it could be.

Just thought I’d let you know I’m going through a similar situation with my boy ><

Let us know what the vet says. Hoping she improves soon!
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for sharing!
The vet took a fecal test and it came back negative. Since her vomiting had about stopped and she was otherwise behaving normal, the vet had us keep an eye on her before going ahead with more tests (blood work). After we left the vet, she was fine but then we gave her mealworms and she started throwing up again. We called the vet and she suggested we stop the mealworms all together since the vomiting seems to relate to the mealworms. She hasn't vomited since.
I think for now, we are just going to have to take mealworms out of her diet. It is strange because she would eat them every 2 - 3 days without an issue. Now it seems they may be making her vomit. We have been giving her just the catfood (a blend of 2 types) and we will start putting fruits, veggies, and meat back in her diet one at a time gradually.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Poor girl, I’m glad she’s otherwise acting normal.

How many mealworms do you feed in a night? Are they canned, live or freezedried? Did you try a fresh batch and still had the same issue? Does she have the same issue eating different insects, like Dubia roaches, crickets etc? Yuki’s started with live superworms which have one of the hardest exoskeletons. It was the only way I could get him to eat cat food so I gave him 1-2 everyday cut up on his cat food, which I also have to soak and mush.

When the vomitting began after a couple months of him eating like this, I reduced down to just one superworm and eventually only could use the guts of a superworm and he’s fine eating like this now. I then introduced canned mealies and mini canned crickets and for the most part he’s ok but occasionally either one will make him vomit. Then when I tried other canned insects like caterpillars, snails and grasshoppers as well as pupaes of silkworms and superworms, all of them made him vomit (I’d find a small patch the following morning). He also would re-eat the vomit so I’m thinking he eats them too fast, his mouth issue causes him not to chew them properly or it’s like a build up in his stomach and he can’t digest it all. The soft body insects like caterpillars recently haven’t cause an issue but I’d feed him only one once a week and he’d be ok, I notice if I feed one every night it’s too much. The recent vomitting became an issue again when I fed him one of the above insects every night (one night a grasshopper, next night a pupae and the following night a Dubia, alongside 4-5 mealies a night, and the superworm guts). Previously I purchased live Dubias and actually sore him gag when trying to eat it so he definitely has an issue with eating insects. I’ve heard it’s not uncommon for them to gag sometimes when eating insects though at least.

It is strange that a handful of hedgies seem to have issues digesting insects, when they should make be part of their staple diet >.<

For now I am limiting his insect intake to only the superworm guts (no shell) and he hasn’t vomited since (it’s been 2 nights). His appetite has decreased though so i am concerned he’s missing his insects, plus he barely pooped last night which is not normal for him and I think this is down to having no insects, which is the additional fiber.

Once it’s been a few days to a week I’m going to try blend up one type of insect so it’s a mush and see if he still vomits. This should make it easier for him to digest, but if he still voms then maybe he has an intolerance to it? Maybe you should try this too and see how your girl gets one. Just feeeze down into small portions (ice cube tray) and thaw out before feeding.

I’m also looking into having an intolerance test done in him to rule out any intolerances he may be having to one of his kibbles. Which ones are you currently feeding by the way?
Yuki is on a mix of blue buffalo weight management and now fresh senior. He’s had the now fresh for almost 2 years so I’m going to switch this for a better quality (prey model kibble). He’s been on the blue buffalo since last June and his quill loss started around Oct/Nov time, not sure if it’s related but i know people have mix views on BB so I’m going to also switch this eventually to Wellness complete, which will balance out the high protein in the prey model food. I’m also going to introduce a raw diet (commercially prepared barf feed) as I’ve been recommended to try it for hedgies with potential food allergies to kibble.

Sorry for the long post. Just think it’s good to share and compare and also help others who might come across this
Old 03-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi!

Twiggy would have 3 mealworms a night. She didn't have them every night. She had them every other night or every 2-3 nights. Those are the only insects she has had. She never tried any others. She isn't eating any insects right now. Maybe I will try caterpillars?
I was thinking of cutting up the mealworms and see how she handles it. I just wanted her stomach to settle for now. She threw up again, but very little. Her appetite has increased though. Before, she seemed to be pooping less but now she's pooping her usual amount and she's eating most of her food.
Her cat food is a mix between Blue Buffalo Freedom and Earthborn Holistic Primitive Feline. I've been giving her this since I got her in October and she seems to do well with it.
I would like to try some other insects into her diet but for now, I am holding off. I do give her some fruit and veggies. She loves watermelon! Have you ever given meat or eggs? I hear they can have that as long as it is not spiced and is cooked.
Thank you for sharing!
Old 03-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh forgot to answer:
The meal worms were live. When she threw up the first time, I got rid of that batch of worms. I waited some time and then bought a new batch of worms and she threw up again.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ah ok, so on the night you gave her them she’d throw up later that night? And on the days in between she wouldn’t vomit? So when she threw up again recently was that even without eating insects?

The same thing just happened with Yuki, on Saturday night (after I made my last post) he refused to eat any of his dinner which is the first time ever, I offered it several times whilst he was on my lap like every night. Then my bf held him for a bit and when I took him back and uncovered the blanket we put over him there was bile next to him so he threw up still even though he had gone 2 nights previously without any mealies (only superworm guts which he always has). After he vomited the bile he did want to eat but only ate a little.

The next morning I woke up and he barely ate anything! I was so worried and it’s the first time he’s left that amount of food. I cooked up some scrabbles eggs (no salt or milk etc) and offered him some fresh food with it and even cut up two super worms and added the guts. He wouldn’t touch it! I removed most the scrambled eggs and thankfully he ate some but Only half he mixture. We took him to the vet Sunday evening and the vet felt around his abdomen and said it felt ok but would need to scan him to confirm for sure. He gave us some medicine to help settle his stomach (maybe it was propantheline bromide and linctus but I can’t be sure because it was written in japanese but it’s a foreign medicine so hard to find the translation). He also gave him a revolution treatment in case he has mites but he didn’t think it was necessary and he also thought his mouth looked much better than it has done in the past and yuki was surpringly acting alert and didn’t ball up once like he usually does with the vet.

Anyways, we started the medicine Sunday night and now it is Wednesday morning here, his appetite is back up, eating about 70-80% of his food (usually eats around 90%). I have been giving him 1 or 2 mealies a day but one in the morning to help get him to eat his meds and one in the evening as i was worried he was food striking because I removed insects completely from his diet (expect for the superworm guts). He’s back to eating a lot whilst he’s out with us so that’s a good sign and hopefully the medicine is working. We only had to syringe feed him his meds and some food Sunday night and he’s been ok to eat it himself since. I’ve got a can of hills a/d just in case he takes another down turn.

Maybe he had a stomach bug or had too much acid in his stomach. He did vomit again on the way back from the vet and it was all bile and white foam. He usually gets motion sickness though so I think this was why, knock on wood he hasn’t vomited since.

With Twiggy, I’d keep limiting it for now as per your vets instructions and maybe try a different soft bodied insect next (they’re easier to digest, so caterpillars, Phoenix worms, wax worms, silkworms), these are all good options but wax worms are the fattiest so offer those sparingly.

I will gradually re-add insects but looks like Yuki can only have one of the bigger insects 2x times a week and spread out. I think I’ll try blending them up next and see how he goes if he still has the same issue.

I very occasionally add a little scrambled egg with his food but he didn’t want to eat that on Sunday, the times before he’s picked it out and eaten it first. I’ve tried cooked chicken before but he’s not that interested in comparison to eating insects.

I’m going to tried the raw diet like I mentioned before. You can buy it frozen or freeze dried and add water to it before serving. You don’t cook it. It is a BARF diet for dogs and there’s a community of hedgehog owners that have started to feed it (alongside kibble). There is more information about it on this forum under the diet and nutrition section and there’s also a good Facebook group ‘hedgehog diet and nutrition natural and raw feeding community’ where people share and discuss it. I can get the links if you’re interested in trying this.

If you want to feed cooked meats then it’s ok to do so as long as it’s plain (no seasoning).

It’s also interesting to hear you also feed Blue buffalo, I wonder if there is a connection with this food? Yuki has always vomitted from eating too many insects a few months after I got him (around June 2017) and he’s only been on the blue buffalo since Jun 2018 but he’s losing quills so I wonder if this food contains ingredients that give hem an intolerance. I’m going to gradually phase it out and replace with the Wellness complete but might wait until he’s finished on his meds as don’t want to create more stress on his digestive system.

Keep us posted on Twiggy and I’ll do the same

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in