Vomiting - Page 4 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #31 (permalink)
Ria

Sounds like you have a good plan to try and find the cause of Twiggy vomiting, I hope its something thats not too serious.

The licking of of the lips a lot of hedgehogs do even when purfectly helathy. I have no idea why, but some do it more than others.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #32 (permalink)

How is Twiggy doing now, hopefully vomit free?

Yuki still isn’t in the clear. Since my last update, he’s been vomiting periodically still. I can’t find any patterns. So I completely took out the now fresh food so he was on a new mix of wellness and blue buffalo. He had a week vomit free so I thought I’d cracked it but then it started happening again. All this time no insects (apart from the superworm guts mixed into his food).

Then on Sunday 21st April I randomly woke up in the night, checked Yuki’s pet cam (like the paranoid mum I am lol) and I saw a big vomit pile on his fleece inside the viv!. I waited for him to go back to bed, he was actually really active this night, wheeled more than usual and drank a lot, and still ate reasonably well. He dropped 10gs when i weighed him the next day though! >< I scooped out the vomit pile to take to the vet and noticed this long clear thing in it! We also thought there was a speck of blood on the photo I took before I scooped it up but it could have just been the red fleece underneath. I didn’t notice it when I looked at it but it was 4am by this point so I might have missed it.

Anyways we were worried this long thing could have been a parasite! My first reaction was it looked like a long piece of stringy semen which I have seen before lol, but when I sent photos to friends they thought a parasite. Whatever it was, most likely is what made him chuck up all his food, it was horrible to watch. I also saw a piece of black fleece fuzz in it.

We went to the vets, they checked the vomit, clear string thing and a poop sample as he also did a smelly not formed poop early hours that morning. Said it wasn’t a parasite and they didn’t know what it was, just spit/phelm or something (which means it was mostly like semen as I don’t think vets realise they masturbate lol).

He didn’t seem too concerned again, said his mouth looked good and sent us off with the same medicine as before. Not 100% happy with the diagnosis and just makes me feel like I’m being paranoid but clearly something isn’t right.

He vomited a small patch once during the meds week and that night I gave him two mealies. I started mealies again to help get him to finish his meds. He’d had them 3 previous nights as well so don’t know if this was the cause or what. He ate about 2-3 each night with no vomit before.

This past week we’ve finished the meds and there’s been a small vomit patch two nights in a row inside his hide. I gave him white supers (ones that just shredded their shell so soft skin) and the vomiting happened both following mornings!

Also last week, twice he had a long black string of fleece fuzz in his poop. One time in the poop and the second time was dangling out of his bottom! Poor thing, I had to give him a foot bath to help ease it out slowly.

I feel at this point the fleece isn’t helping and could be contributing to the vomiting. Plus I don’t like that he is ingesting it because he is trying to burrow and then swallows it when he cleans his feet. The next step is to switch him to natural bedding (soil, sand and coco peat). I’m worried this will also be ingested but at least it’s natural material and might pass through better? I am super worried about compaction though. I just don’t know what is best, but the current set up using fleece is not working. He’s still losing quills, approx 5 a week but the week before the last big vomit he lost 13 in a week! I gave him a bath and it seemed to help lower it back to 5 a week. He’s been losing quills since I put him back on fleece.

Let us know how Twiggy is doing and if there’s been any new insight to what was causing her vomiting.

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 05-01-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #33 (permalink)

Ugh, poor little Yuki. So frustrating not knowing what is going on.
Twiggy hasn't vomited in weeks- thank goodness. I switched her food to Chicken Soup for the Soul cat food. It took a little more than 2 weeks for her to completely stop vomiting but she hasn't vomited at all since. Maybe make sure you are giving enough time for the changes to take effect? I thought the change of food wasn't helping at first but I stuck to it and gave her only that food and eventually the vomiting just stopped. Maybe just lucky! We never went for the CT scan because we thought we should exhaust other options before putting her through that. We got lucky we didn't need it.

That's strange that the fleece liner is being ingested, is he really chewing on it or is it just coming off? The fleece liner I use is super strong and there is never any lose balls or strings. I ordered it off Amazon (Cheryl Ann's Pets). It's pretty durable. But whichever you prefer. Does he often chew on furniture or bedding in his cage? Maybe something on there is making him sick?
JeaNet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in