Chronic infections? :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chronic infections? :(

I haven't been on this forum in a long time, and for a long time, my Moyo was perfectly fine. Then one day, his poop started having mucous blood in it. I rushed him to the vet and was told it was an infection. So I gave him antibiotics and he got better for a bit.

Then it happened again, and he was enough pain to be squealing while he was trying to poop. So vet visit again. Again, I was given antibiotics. And the antibiotics made him vomit, so I was given more antibiotics. I used the rest of my graduation money to take him in twice.

It has only been one month since this, and it is happening again. And I'm afraid to take him in because I don't want the same thing to happen. I don't want to be sent home with antibiotics and then have it be all for naught. And I can't afford to keep taking him in. I will if I have to. I really will, but I just got a new job and just moved into a new apartment (though there is a better exotics vet here), so I'm a little on the edge, and my birds have to go in too. I'm still planning on taking them all in. But has anyone else had this issue? Is there anything I can do? (He isn't in squealing pain and sometimes his poop looks fine, and then the next day it is all mucous)
phoenixjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

My birds were severely neglected for 3-4 years by my dad (I was in college and unaware of the neglect for awhile. It is a long story.), and one is now losing feathers, so they are also in need of vet care. He dumped them on me before I was financially ready for them (though I can definitely take better care of them than my dad can, and it is probably better in the long run. I wanted them out of that house), and I'm busy trying to rehabilitate them and take care of Moyo's apparent chronic issue. So things are very tight. I'm caring for them the best I can, but that is why Moyo hasn't seen a vet yet this time. I am making the appointment today. I can handle them. This is all just happening at the worst time.

Last edited by phoenixjay; 09-12-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Edit because I didn't add this. Sorry about the constant updates: He is behaving normally and is eating and drinking his water like normal.Though he is losing some quills in a place, which I think is due to the stress of the infections.

Last edited by phoenixjay; 09-12-2016 at 01:16 PM.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Next question: I can afford the vet care now, but, I'm looking at pet insurance (VPI) so this doesn't happen again. The issue is that it takes 2 weeks to kick in. Do you think, if you have had a hedgie have this problem before, that he can afford to wait 2 weeks for vet care? The original plan was to tag team our pets to the vet. Moyo and the bird losing feathers go (they are more urgent), and then the bird who is very healthy and my boyfriend's rabbit go for their checkups. But insurance would make it possible for them all to get seen at once...in 2 weeks. But I can also bring Moyo in and wait on the other 3 for the insurance (the bird isn't in great condition, but he has been getting better since moving in, so I don't think 2 weeks is a big deal for him).
Old 09-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is borrowing money from someone an option. Did you ask you vet about a payment plan so that maybe you'll only have to pay a little bit maybe once a week or something.

~Paige~
paige.alison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just set up an appointment for him tomorrow (my boyfriend has to bring him because I am working late, though he is getting a comprehensive list of what to ask the vet). We have enough to cover him (me working overtime this week saved us), but the birds will be waiting for a couple of weeks for the insurance to go through.

I can ask my dad to fund Leo's (bird's) vet appointment. Whether he will say yes or not is a different story.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Any friends that may help or maybe your boyfriend (though I'd feel bad asking him especially with him already helping.
I'm glad you've figured out a plan kind of.

~Paige~
paige.alison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm Moyo's primary caretaker, but because my boyfriend and I live together and we both have pets, he is Moyo's secondary caretaker, plus we budget together and partially share funds. His job was taking a great deal out of his car and his health, so he had to leave it a couple weeks ago. He has a couple of job interviews this week, so this shouldn't last too long, and we will be back on our feet soon. If he could help financially, he would, and has been extremely understanding in all of this (plus he loves all of the pets, so that helps). I am going to ask a couple family members for help though.

I think this burst of vet visits will be difficult to finance, but we will be able to do it even if no one helps. Our electric bill for the month came in, and it is extremely low, so we have a little more to work with. We aren't desperate. We're tight, but we also always seem to figure out how to work magic.

(Also, thank you for the suggestions! I am going to try to ask a little more for help.)

Last edited by phoenixjay; 09-12-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just convinced my dad to fund the bird's vet visit and treatment. my dad isn't the best person, and is awful when it comes to pets, but he sometimes comes through. So we have one less thing to worry about. Moyo's is paid for. The other bird is very healthy and needs a checkup, so we are going to take him in next month (with my boyfriend's rabbit--also healthy and needs a checkup). After that, it is smooth sailing.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Also try to apply for care credit
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in