Weird, weird poop! Dark green sticky, then liquidy, back to brown, what's normal?! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Red face Weird, weird poop! Dark green sticky, then liquidy, back to brown, what's normal?!

Hello!

NOTE: I live in a country where hedgehogs are illegal, and finding a vet who is able to tend to her is even more difficult. I'm confident you guys are more knowledgeable than the vets available here.

My rescue girl has a ton of issues. Please do take a look at this other post I've started, it lists everything wrong with her and probably has more information on it: https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...e-help-me.html

The reason I'm posting again in a sub-section is because I haven't got any answers on one of the most worrying thing about Ponyo and her soon-to-be-ex-cagemate -- their poop!

Ponyo is on antibiotics for the past few days, but her inconsistent green-brown poop, usually either sticky (usually there's a string connecting two poops) or liquid (it oozes out of her butt) or squishy, has been around for more than 2 weeks. She tends to pee while she poops too.

I don't think I've got any pictures of her sticky and liquidy poops, but I'll be sure to get some once I have the chance to.

I'm extremely worried that she may have giardia, and I'm crossing my fingers that her cagemate doesn't either.

Ponyo's Poopies

Miss' Poopies

Thank you guys for all your help, I really appreciate all your responses!

Ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016, 12:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

My hedgehog has poops like the last two pictures and pees while he poops as well.. I've taken him to the vet she even saw his poop and said he's all healthy. I think it might be normal since hedgehogs don't have hard poops like a guinea pig or rabbit.. I'm curious now though to see if anyone else's hedgie has poops like this!
SarahBella97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2016, 01:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hedgehogs poop gets green and sticky when they are stressed out. That can be a dozen things that causes this. Mine hates when i clean his cage and gets green poops for a day or so.
Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

The antibiotics could be causing this, they can be hard on their stomach

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm intending to get probiotics (BeneBac?) for her tummy. May I know what's the recommended dosage like?

Ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Harley, poops green almost everyday. He poops brown all the time....it seems like when he gets all the brown out of him, it goes to green then back to brown after he sleeps. He eats very well. He only eats his Grain-Free cat food & an occasional scrambled egg & plain chicken or turkey breast. We've tried giving him other treats but he will NOT take them.
rachelfriend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree the antibiotics can cause te loose stool. In many other animals I know for sure it does. Probably hedgies have a similar reaction. Hopefully it stops when she's not longer on the antibiotics, then you would know for sure if that was the cause.
Aurora81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in