Suspicious poop smelling worse than usual..? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Suspicious poop smelling worse than usual..?

Hi everyone,
My hedgie Hammish has been having these terrible poops that just smell completely terrible and smell up the whole room as soon as it comes out of his little booty.
When I say "terrible poops," I mean, they are not his norm. His poop used to not smell and I would have to check to make sure he was producing poop (of course he was, but I'm saying they didn't smell.)
Lately, for the past couple weeks, they have smelled so badly that it wakes me up in the middle of the night and makes it hard to breathe! They are also sometimes a brown/dark green tinted or just regular brown, but have been very soft.
I didn't put much thought to it, until now, but could there be something wrong with his diet or an intestinal issue? He eats "hedgehog food" from petco (little grainy bits) and I occasionally feed the dried canned meal worms as a treat. I had fed him scrambled eggs a while back for a treat, but I didn't notice those smelling things up, either. And that was a while back. Haven't in a while.

Can anyone help? Thanks!
alexislyne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oh, also, his activity level on the wheel is normal (he runs like all night long) and is coming out to eat and drink like normal, as well.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Lets start with diet. What is his current diet? Have you changed anything? Add anything? If you provide the same foods daily, and nothing has changed, a sudden change in smell is concerning and I would schedule a veterinary visit, and collect a stool sample for examination as it could be the first symptom of a GI infection.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

His diet is pretty consistent, like I said above, he eats "hedgehog food" from petco. These little small grainy pellets. And I started occasionally feeding him mealworms and eggs to supplement that, but interchanged them daily with his food as always. Now, I haven't fed him these things (mealworms or scrambled eggs) in about a week since I've thought of it. His poop is still about the same brown color, just a lot softer and smellier.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Specifically, what hedgehog food are you feeding? Honestly, most hedgehog food has about the nutritional value of a cardboard box, so once this GI upset has been taken care of, you may want to consider switching to a high quality cat food.

With that being said, if he's been on that food for a while with no prior issues on it, and the poop change doesn't seem to be related to the mealworms or eggs, I agree with Kalandra; it's time to go to the vet. It could be a simple thing that needs a round of antibiotics to clear up. But the sooner you go likely the easier it will be to treat. Definitely make sure they get a stool sample to run tests on. Fresher is better. Hopefully he'll provide one while you're there. My girl typically does. She's so thoughtful
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2016, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

The food.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1453872363973.jpg (114.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg image_1453872440746.jpg (791.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-27-2016, 12:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

The food (sorry it's sideways, for some reason would not let me fix it.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1453872506474.jpg (142.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

In general, hedgehog foods are not good foods. And I would recommend a diet change should be made in the near future. However, as I mentioned above, if he has been on the food for a long time (months) and the odor change was sudden, unexplainable, and is ongoing, then I would seek veterinary attention, take a stool sample in to rule out illness first. Then if all comes back clean, start a diet change.

Sudden, unexplainable changes that continue on are potential symptoms. They could be a first indicator that allow you to treat the hedgehog more easily than if you wait to see if it gets worse.

Keep in mind that hedgehogs hide illness extremely well. They are prey animals that are not that far removed from the wild. In the wild to act sick will get you eaten. So they will continue to run on their wheels, eat, drink etc for as long as they can. Usually, by the time a hedgehog actually acts sick, they are very sick.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in