Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Changing Diet to Encourage Weight Loss
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lilysmommy
Super Moderator

Default Changing Diet to Encourage Weight Loss

Hey everyone. I was wondering if I could get some opinions on what to do with Lily as far as diet/exercise. She's up to about 500-510 grams now, which has me a bit . At her last vet visit, the vet told me that while she's not obese yet, she definitely shouldn't gain any more weight. However, it seems to me like she's still gaining just a bit at a time, creeping up a couple grams. So I've been trying to figure out how to at least get the weight gain to stop, if not get her to lose a few grams.

Her food mix consists of Solid Gold Katz'n'Flocken (12% fat), Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck (12%), Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Lite (9%), and Castor & Pollux Natural Ultramix (11%). I was thinking I might try to decrease the amount of Solid Gold and Natural Balance in the mix, and offer more of the Chicken Soup and C&P, since they're just a bit lower in fat. However, she doesn't like those two as much, and Natural Balance is her favorite. Do you think she'll just quit eating her usual amount if I change the amounts, or that she'll start eating more of the lower fat foods?

As far as encouraging exercise to help lose weight or at least maintain, I'm not sure what I can do with that either. She does run on her wheel, though I'm not sure how much. She's definitely not an explorer though, and prefers to sleep on me when I get her out in the evenings. And I refuse to try the swimming approach, since she's terrified of water. I'm just not sure how else to offer her exercise.

Any suggestions, either on the diet or on exercise?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote