Advice for surgery on 3.5 yr old--female, uterine tumor - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Aether
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By Nancy
  • 2 Post By Kalandra
  • 1 Post By Lussy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice for surgery on 3.5 yr old--female, uterine tumor

My 3.5 year old girl Nara has been experiencing uterine bleeding.

The vet says it's uterine and has given me Clavamox and Metacam for the time being.

They gassed her and took xrays and did blood work, also gave her a mani/pedi while she was out.

Vet says they can see the tumor on the xray but thinks it is only uterine right now.

Haven't got the results back from the blood work, not sure what that might show--maybe elevated liver or kidney levels?

I know several of you have had a LOT of experience in spaying but Nara will be 4 years old in July. The vet says it's kind of risky since she's an "older gal".

Right now she is eating, running, pooping and peeing normally. In fact, she is mellowing out and not being her normal huffy self.

I am not sure if I should risk surgery now or wait.

Any advice is appreciated. The quill-ball owns my heart and I don't want to lose her, but she doesn't seem to be suffering.

I have been on this site and seen so many hedgies lost to tumors and cancer and it's my turn now.

Thank you.
MomLady
Donna
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

My girl was only a little over a year old and still did not survive her surgery. Of course by then she had lost a LOT of blood, so I knew her chances were slim. It's always a tough choice to make between letting her be and having a risky surgery, but if the vet saw a tumor, it's going to be there until they remove it.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I will let you know that the longer you wait, the weaker she could get, making her chances even more slim.

My Relm seemed to improve greatly the week before she passed away, so sometimes that is not a good way to tell if she is truly "fine" or not.

I'm so sorry you're facing this decision. =/
Lilysmommy and MomLady like this.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ILikeSpikes

Use code SUMMER10 to get 10% off until July 12th!

Aether is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm sorry you've gotten such bad news.

I have no experience with spaying, so take my advice with a grain of salt - but it seems like it would be better to get the surgery done sooner, even though she's older? I would think things would just get worse if you wait. But like I said, I could be totally wrong on the risks. Nancy or Kalandra will probably have more experienced and helpful advice for you. Lots of hugs to you and Nara, and I hope you enjoy every moment you have left with her for now. Give her an extra treat from me.
MomLady and Aether like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

At 3.5 I would go for the surgery as long as she is still active and otherwise healthy. Prolonging the surgery only allows the tumour to continue growing.

Surgery is always a risk, but I don't consider 3.5 to be too old or the risks to be too high. If she was a year or more older then I'd be more hesitant.

Basically it's you have two options. Do the surgery which carries a small risk, but could cure her, or leave the tumour and her death is certain and possibly not that far away depending on how the tumour grows.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I've had surgery on hedgehogs who were over 4. I have not had a spay done, but I have had some rather complicated tumor removals that took time to excise. There is always risk with surgery. You have to judge the condition of the hedgehog and determine for yourself if you think they will survive. For a hedgehog that is active, strong, eating well, and otherwise healthy, I don't hesitate too much to get it done. I trust my vet and know he is very experienced though. You have to trust your vet and his experience. My experience and opinion is its better to remove tumors before the animal starts to deteriorate and while the tumor is smaller.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all, you've pretty much confirmed my decision.

It's never easy, is it?

Thanks!!!!

ML
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I' sharing your sad feeling here with you coz I know what Love for that spiky ball means. maybe I have to spay my 2 year and 3 months old girl....the vet saw no tumor but I'm always afraid that being unariccia so tiny the ultrasound could have missed it somehow or made the vet misinterpret it.
I'm with you and Nara in spirit...whatever decision you make!!! <3
MomLady likes this.

[/url]
Lussy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in