Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bleeding, Female (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Blood in urine, excessive sneezing, lump in belly + what did vet say (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50249)

Fifiiinka 02-06-2014 09:23 PM

Blood in urine, excessive sneezing, lump in belly + what did vet say
Hello everyone,

I decided to share my and Pipka's story with other hedgehog owners in a case you are going through the same process.

Pipka was a happy hedgie, bought on Craigslist, the ad lied about her gender so might have lied about her age as well. If I believe the ad said truth, Pipka should be about 2 years old.

Everything was ok health wise, she was always little grumpy lil girl, but everything changed when my fiance and I came back from New York on December 23, 2013. She was not able to keep her front legs together, was falling, could not stand and could not walk, she stopped eating and when I put her on the couch, she was leaving tiny puddles of urine and also sticky trails. Later I realized those sticky trails were blood trails. She started sneezing in November, we first thought it was allergies as our then vet told us she might have some allergies.

Our previous vet did not seem to care that much about her but he kept charging us like he was delivering the best care in the world. We decided to see another vet, not very experienced with hegies, but this was emergency. He weighted her (0.4 pounds), did x-ray scan (twice) and found little gray area in her belly.

We did not pay much attention to that. Today I saw the vet again. He examined her, felt her through her whole body, I helped him to held her when he was examining her belly and he found quite a big lump there. I asked him to do x-ray once again. Once again, he found the same grey tissue in her belly. He told me that it might be nothing, but it may be tumor as well, as it feels as tumor.

He prescribed her antibiotics (Clavamox) for that sneezing and also blood in her urine, as there's still a blood (I bought Rapid Response Urinalysis Reagent Strips for checking blood in Pipka's urine).

Now regarding the dosage, the doctor prescribed her the smallest dosage (0.1 ml). My question is, is it ok dosage for hedgehog that weights 0.4 pounds? I want these antibiotics to help her sneezing at least as she sneezes a lot and I do not want to underdose her.

I believe that what Pipka is dealing with is a tumor. I love this girl very much, did not sleep the whole night and while we were waiting for the x-rays, I teared up. I will opt for the surgery, I just need to know whether there have been cases where hedgie came out alive. I know Aether's Relm did not as that poor baby already lost lots of blood and I do not want to loose her that quickly.

I am not sure what to do. If you please have experience with surgeries, lump that just turned out to be the soft tissue, please share it with me as I need lots of help right now. I love that little bundle more I could have every imagined and her health really got toll on me (I lost 6 kilograms). I am not here to complain about myself, I just need to hear from someone they put their hedgie under the scalpel and it went awesome.

If you please have any questions, suggestions, reach out to me. I would truly appreciate each reaction from you.

Have a wonderful day everyone.


Nancy 02-06-2014 09:51 PM

The girls I've had spayed have come through it great but surgery needs to be done asap. The longer they continue to loose blood, they can become anemic which makes the surgery more of a risk. Laser surgery is the best as it is faster with less blood loss and quicker healing.

Fifiiinka 02-06-2014 10:02 PM

For some reason I think she is in pain. She does not sleep, does not want to go to her blue fleece sleeping bag (it was her favorite) and she just lies like this with her eyes opened. :(
She does not lie on her side anymore, she is stretched on her belly.


Fifiiinka 02-06-2014 10:03 PM


Fifiiinka 02-06-2014 10:10 PM

Nancy please can you give a price estimate on how much such laser surgery may cost please? I was asking around town for spay surgery, it's about $350 around here. I am not sure if my vet has such equipment though. I will ask. Thank you Nancy.

Nancy 02-06-2014 10:36 PM

Prices vary from vet to vet. You would have to ask but it isn't a huge amount extra. The most important thing is to have a vet that is experienced with hedgehogs.

Fifiiinka 02-12-2014 02:05 AM


she started taking antibiotics last Thursday and yesterday I found blood stains in her cage. :( I first thought she hurt her leg, inspected her thoroughly and found no cuts or bruises. 8 hours later I inspected her again, her belly was bloody and when I was washing her while she was laying on her back, I noticed blood was coming from her urethra.

I do not want to loose her during surgery, I've read and heard many stories when hedgies did not survive surgery because they lost lots of blood. She has been loosing blood for almost 2 months. I do not know any experienced doctor here in Vancouver, I have e-mailed 12 vet hospitals in the area which do accept small pets or exotic pets. I am not sure what to do. She keeps eating normally, I am just freaking out she may be in pain, I do not want her to suffer. I am truly not sure what to do here.

What would you suggest if you would be in my shoes please?

Nancy 02-12-2014 09:18 AM

I would get the surgery done immediately. Well to be honest, I would have had it done when she was first bleeding and the grey area showed on xray.

Yes, there is a small risk of loosing her in surgery, but not doing surgery she is definitely going to die. That tumour could bleed out at any time. You are lucky in that the tumour has given you warning and time to get it removed. We aren't always that lucky. I've had a couple whose first indication of anything wrong was when they were bleeding out and it was too late to do anything but say goodbye.

Nobody can tell you what to do. This is your decision and a decision you are going to have to live with.

Fifiiinka 02-12-2014 04:33 PM

Nancy, she already started bleeding. It comes where she pees from and it's all over her belly. I want get the surgery immediately, I am just asking all the questions here as my vet is not experienced with hedgehogs :( I am going to see him tomorrow and will try to convince him to remove tumour tomorrow. I am just worried it may be too late now.

Fifiiinka 02-12-2014 04:52 PM

We are in tomorrow, I will push for the surgery. I am just worried it may be too late now. It's my fault not getting her surgery sooner, but my doctor kept comforting me it was just a soft tissue. This is my first hedgie and I felt like I failed her. I hope she will survive the surgery. I do not want to loose her. But if I had to, I want it be through surgery so I know I did everything in my power to save her.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.