Blood in urine, excessive sneezing, lump in belly + what did vet say - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014, 11:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Hedgehogs do not leave much behind for us to hold onto.
If she's shed any quills, keep those.
Before you take her in to sleep, see if you can press her tiny paw-print into a bit of clay, or use ink to stamp a paw-print on paper.

Write out the stories of your good memories with her. Those will never be gone as long as you remember them.
phoenix1964 likes this.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #22 (permalink)

I have her quills and even her poo, which I know sounds uber crazy. I am going to buy clay tomorrow and I will make a necklace. She will always be on my chest close to my heart. That's an amazing idea.

I also wanted to ask if there is any way to put her into eternal sleep at home. I want her to lie on our bed, she loves it here I want to sing her a song and be holding and kissing her and just be myself around her. I won't be able to do that at doctor's office. Is there any way? I know this sounds crazy, but she hates it there, her health state always got worse after coming from vet's office. I want her to die here at her home surrounded by people that love her.
Fifiiinka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm sorry, but...I'm going to be kind of blunt here.

Like you already said, the situation is about Pipka. Yes, it's about you too, but Pipka comes first. You're her owner, and you have a responsibility to her. I know it's hard. Trust me, I know, I had to do this myself two years & almost one month ago.

What's her quality of life right now? She's in pain - you can be sure of that. She's bleeding regularly, she's having trouble breathing, you're having to give her medicine regularly, which she doesn't like. It doesn't sound like she has great quality of life at all. You know you're going to lose her either way. What you do have a choice with is how she has to go. Either at home, suffering the rest of the way there, or in a vet's office, sleeping peacefully, sparing her further suffering.

I can't make you choose one thing or the other, but please, for Pipka's sake, try to think about it with her in mind first and foremost. Try to put your feelings aside and think about what's best for her. It's not going to be easy for you either way. You CAN make it easier for her. Please, do what you said you want to do - make this about Pipka, not about you. You can come later. She needs you now.

Edit: If you want, try asking the vet if they can do a home visit. I don't know that they would, but worth a try. My parents had a dog of theirs euthanized at home because he always got so frantic at the vet's.
Nancy, nikki, MomLady and 2 others like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 12:25 AM   #24 (permalink)

I was thinking about at home euthanasia kit, but nothing like that exists. I want her not to suffer any more. I already called the vet 4 times to leave the voice mail about euthanasia, but hung up. I am going to do this again and leave that voice mail. I do not want her to suffer any more. I can and will do it now. Thank you Kelsey.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:27 AM   #25 (permalink)

Depending on how she feels in the morning, I am either going to bring her in tomorrow or Saturday, no later. This is the toughest decision and phone call I have ever made. In the morning, I was coming to the doctor's office with hope and was leaving with despair. I know she lives in now and does not think about future and her present is not worth much at all. The best gift and love I can give her is to end her suffering.

When we first got her, she was very grumpy lil hedgie She hated being held or touched My fiance and I used to play with her every night. No matter how tired we were, we always took her from her cage and played with her, let her run around and explore her surroundings. She found her way to us, she did not his any more when we pick her up, I love to kiss her on her quills, her forehead and cheeks and also her little belly and paws. She is the cutest little thing out there. It's so cute you have to smile even when you have the crappiest day.

I am glad she came to our lives. Such a tiny little creature can change so much. I will miss not seeing her, not feeding her, not petting her, and not singing her my songs. She never told me to shut up I love her for that.

I am not sure if I will ever have another hedgie. I still have about 500 organic worms here, the whole bag of Spike's Premium Kibble, and 3 A/D Critical Care cans. I will probably donate them to the shelter or to someone who has the hedgie. If you live in Metro Vancouver area, please contact me.

Please keep my little girl in your thoughts and send her love. It's Valentine's Day and I am sorry I cannot give her a big hug as I used to or kiss her belly. But I am especially sorry I did not put her down earlier and what I am mostly sorry about is that surgery. What's done is done. She is the best and I will love her forever. She has a huge peace of my heart.
phoenix1964 likes this.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #26 (permalink)

You are being a good, kind, decent human being. If it is not going to be too depressing for you could you take a piece of the comforter from your bed when you go to the vet? You say she loves to lie on it, this might make her more comfortable. Perhaps a pillow case if that is too much.
The loss of a loved one, no matter how big or small is always hard. It will get better over time. Cry when you need to, but don't feel bad when you laugh and smile remembering her silly antics. Know that she is going to a place where there is no pain, no grief, only love and happiness.
I love the idea of a paw print!
I wish you well and I am sending hugs to you
phoenix1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #27 (permalink)

Think of putting her to sleep as the last act of love you can show her.

I am so sorry and I just hurt so much for both of you.

Know that you are both in my thoughts.

Hugs. How can something so quilly and huffy take up such a big part of your heart.

Donna
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
Administrator

A very smart person once told me...its better to put them to sleep an hour to early than to let them suffer a minute longer than necessary.

Please don't let her suffer any longer, the kindest and most selfless thing we can do for our pets is to not let them suffer no matter how much it hurts us.
Nancy, Lilysmommy, MomLady and 2 others like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #29 (permalink)

Thank you very much ladies. I am making sure she does not suffer. She did yesterday when we got back from the vet so I rushed there to grab her painkillers. She is pain free now and eats and looks much better. We are going to say goodbye tomorrow at 3 pm. I am bringing her favourite blanket, her fleece bag and her tiny lavender bag.

I have one more question - what happens after she is euthanised? Doctor will take her away? What happens to her body? Can I get her ashes? I want to leave her in her another sleeping bag, write letter to her and leave it in that bag and also put lavender inside. I want doctor to leave her in that bag and not take her away from there. Can I do that? Thank you for your answers and your support. I need it so much.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

When we had our cat cremated we had to pay extra to get him back, but it was worth every penny.
Our vet had a service that did the private cremation and they called when the ashes came back. I am glad we did it, it was over 20 years ago. I don't know what we would have done when we moved if we had buried him in the backyard.
Not sure about leaving her in the bag--the assistants should be able to help you. Our vet staff was so wonderful and caring about our cat all those years ago.

Be strong and be there for her.
Hugs
Fifiiinka likes this.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in