Blood In Urine, Advice Needed - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2020, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 4
Exclamation Blood In Urine, Advice Needed

Hey Friends,

I’ve had my beautiful girl Reba for a little more than a year, she was given to me by someone who was moving and couldn’t take her with them. According to what the previous owner told me she should be around 3 now, but I suspect she is actually older than that. When Reba was given to me, the owner said I probably would need to get her spayed because she was bleeding, but the bleeding stopped within a couple of days of her coming to live with me, so the vet and I deduced that it was likely a UTI that had cleared up on its own.
However, She has recently had blood in her urine, (but she is not bleeding otherwise) and a few shots of antibiotics seem to rule out a UTI. My vet explained that the most likely cause is uterine cancer, and that the next step in treatment would be to spay her, which will let them see if there is cancer, and if it has spread. Of course I want to do everything in my power to help her, but I am hesitant to go through with the surgery and I am looking for any advice or thoughts that my fellow hog humans have to offer!

I am worried for the following reasons:
1. From what I can tell doing surgery on a hedgehog (especially and older and slightly overweight one like Reba) is risky in itself, my vet mentioned that anesthesia is “not made for hedgehogs.” So she may not even survive the surgery
2. If we get the surgery and it is cancer, there’s always a possibility that it would have spread or that we won’t be able to cure it. If she has a limited amount of time, I want it to be the highest quality possible, and I hate to put her through the trauma of surgery and healing

Even though surgery would tell us the problem, and it *could* extend her life, I am leaning towards not getting it for the reasons above, I want her to have the best quality of life possible, and because right now she seems happy, she eats normally, and she doesn’t appear to be in any pain. I guess I just would like to hear from anyone with a similar experience and how you made your decision, or if y’all think I’m making the right choice!

Thankful for this community,
Huff huff huff
-Reba and her human
RebaHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum