Bleeding. Female, 3 and a half year old hedgehog - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Bleeding. Female, 3 and a half year old hedgehog

So on Tuesday 28th January I came home from work and checked in Minnie’s vivarium, seen a tiny wee bit of blood on her training pad so instantly phoned the vet and got an appointment for Thursday 30th January (as it wasn’t much blood I wasn’t overly concerned as I just thought maybe a uti or something). Anyway got a shower and got changed and got her out of her vivarium an hour or so later and majorly panicked. Her blanket in her igloo had blood all on it and so did her snuggle sack. By this stage the vets was shut so I phoned the emergency vet and brought her straight to them. She didn’t really seem to think it was anything too serious as visibly all seemed normal with Minnie and the vet said it wasn’t too much blood that would alert her to it being something really serious. So she gave Minnie an injection and gave me baytril to give her twice a day for 5 days. Started it on Wednesday morning and since then she hadn’t been eating (or at least been eating so little I hardly even notice she has ate). No peeing or pooing. So Saturday morning I phoned to check in with the vet and just let her know that Minnie has lost her appetite and is still bleeding to which she says to bring her in again and they will xray her. So i brought her in and they done an X-ray and said they couldn’t see any growths/tumour etc but they were expecting to see fluid appear in the X-ray to which it didn’t. They gave her an injection to help with any pain she may be in and to see if it helps her appetite.. I have been so worried I’ve been syringing food into her a little bit. I don’t know what to do. Has anyone else had this problem?
shauna&minnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Few thoughts… This may get a bit lengthy! Sorry!

Appetite issue
Sounds like your first concern is the appetite issue. Baytril is a very good antibiotic, however it can also be very disruptive to the GI. It is very common to see nasty green stools when a hedgehog is on it, however I have had a couple now that stopped eating while on it and got their appetite back a few days after we stopped Baytril. From all the hedgehogs I've used Baytril on, it seems to be a less common side effect, but it can happen.

If you struggling with the supplement feeding, or she is losing weight, contact the vet and ask to swap to a different antibiotic as this one is causing an appetite issue.

If you aren’t already, I normally start adding a probiotic to there food when giving antibiotics. I give it mid-way between dosages, or at a minimum at least 2 hours before or after each dosage. I typically continue to give probiotics for several days after we stop any antibiotic to help settle their GI.

Bleeding still
If she’s still bleeding, have you seen any change at all? If it has gotten a little better but hasn't fully stopped, talk to the vet about it. Sometimes they require a longer run of antibiotics to fully clear the infection.

It sounds like they are trying to treat for a UTI. Have they done a urinalysis? This can help determine if there is a bacterial infection, crystals, etc. in the urine.

If they found bacteria, have they done a culture? Sometimes bacterial infections are resistant to the antibiotics provided and a culture & sensitivity test can help tell what works.

If they have ruled out UTI, and believe the bleeding is uterine, have they discussed having her spayed? Uterine infections, tumors and cancer are not uncommon in hedgehogs. Cancer, in general, is very common.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is there any news on little Minnie?
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in