Vaginal Bleeding - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vaginal Bleeding

Hi everyone,

My poor Truffles was quite covered in blood this morning when I went to check on her :'( The blood was around her vaginal area and her foot. I bathed her to see if I could find the source. She wasn't actively bleeding anymore. I discovered a couple of hours later, she was in fact bleeding slightly from her vulva. All of the exotic vets in my area were booked today, so we went to an emergency vet. Unfortunately, he had only seen 1 other hedgehog in his 14 year career and doesn't know a lot about them. He consulted over the phone with one exotic pet Dr. We could have done an ultrasound, but unfortunately I cannot afford that right now. Which breaks my heart, I feel like a bad mom not doing everything I can. The blood doesn't seem to be coming out in urine, but I haven't physically seen her urinate yet today. The blood is straight up frank blood and doesn't appear to be diluted with urine or have any pus. We decided to approach it with antibiotics am/pm, (just in case it is a UTI or something like that) and I am going to follow up on Tuesday with a vet that specializes in these guys.

Luckily, she is still VERY feisty, strong, active, eating and drinking normally and not acting very different behaviorally. Maybe a bit more grumpy but we've been handling her a lot today and annoying her lol.

Just looking for any assurance/advice/insight in to anyone who has experienced a uterine tumor in their hedgie or had similar symptoms but it showed as something else. Thank you all so much for your support in advance.
QueenTruffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Never had this exact problem but I offer my support. Hopefully you got it early enough.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in