Bloody Bottom - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bloody Bottom

I went to take Michi out of her cage this morning so I could clean it & give her a bath when I noticed blood on her chuck (Hospital pad). I checked her paws but they were fine. When I sat her down there was a blood clot on my hand. I took her to the vet. The vet isn’t sure if it’s caused by a uti or tumor since she didn’t do bloodwork. She didn’t feel comfortable sedating Michi because she keeps leaning to the left.
I was given antibiotics to give her for 10 days.

I’m gonna constantly monitor her & take her back if necessary. Not sure when to expect the bleeding to stop. Strangely she didn’t bleed at the vet but she bled again when I held her to give her the meds.

Has anyone had any similar issues with their hedgie?
Michi will be 3 in December.
CaramelSlade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Update: just saw where she is actually bleeding from. Looks like her butt.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

So this morning I noticed that Michi hasn’t eaten & she is now secreting a dark green mucus. I figured it’s because of the antibiotics. I called the vet and was told to stop giving her the antibiotics & to syringe feed her food & probiotics. I had already gone to the store to get her chicken baby food & some acidophilus capsules that I saw someone mentioned in an older thread. The vet said to get benebac but unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to get any until Monday at the earliest.

Does anyone know any stores that sell benebac? I tried looking it up but only found options to order it online.

This whole thing has been stressful especially since I have to go back to work Monday. I took her to the vet to remedy her to later be told to stop the medication. I hope she doesn’t get worse from being off the antibiotics.

Managed to feed her about 1 cc of food. I’ll try to give her more in a few hours especially since half of the probiotic was mixed into it.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

You could try going to your local large pet store look in small animal section they may have some. Worth a try for looking.
Otherwise I only know that you can get it online
I have an emergency pack all the time since I needed it when Holly got an upset stomach when she was younger.

I hope she gets better, but if it caused by the antibiotics then the vet should also put her different antibiotics.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

How is she doing now?

I'd just use the acidolphilus. Find one with a high content. Benebac is ok, but personally I don't like the first 3 ingredients in it, I'd rather just use the acidolphilus and mix it with food instead of sunflower oil, silicon dioxide and sugar....

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in