Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bleeding, Female (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Bloody Bottom (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191410)

CaramelSlade 05-09-2019 04:07 PM

Bloody Bottom

I went to take Michi out of her cage this morning so I could clean it & give her a bath when I noticed blood on her chuck (Hospital pad). I checked her paws but they were fine. When I sat her down there was a blood clot on my hand. I took her to the vet. The vet isn’t sure if it’s caused by a uti or tumor since she didn’t do bloodwork. She didn’t feel comfortable sedating Michi because she keeps leaning to the left.
I was given antibiotics to give her for 10 days.

I’m gonna constantly monitor her & take her back if necessary. Not sure when to expect the bleeding to stop. Strangely she didn’t bleed at the vet but she bled again when I held her to give her the meds.

Has anyone had any similar issues with their hedgie?
Michi will be 3 in December.

CaramelSlade 05-09-2019 05:08 PM

Update: just saw where she is actually bleeding from. Looks like her butt.

CaramelSlade 05-11-2019 02:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So this morning I noticed that Michi hasn’t eaten & she is now secreting a dark green mucus. I figured it’s because of the antibiotics. I called the vet and was told to stop giving her the antibiotics & to syringe feed her food & probiotics. I had already gone to the store to get her chicken baby food & some acidophilus capsules that I saw someone mentioned in an older thread. The vet said to get benebac but unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to get any until Monday at the earliest.

Does anyone know any stores that sell benebac? I tried looking it up but only found options to order it online.

This whole thing has been stressful especially since I have to go back to work Monday. I took her to the vet to remedy her to later be told to stop the medication. I hope she doesn’t get worse from being off the antibiotics.

Managed to feed her about 1 cc of food. I’ll try to give her more in a few hours especially since half of the probiotic was mixed into it.

Ria 05-11-2019 03:19 PM

You could try going to your local large pet store look in small animal section they may have some. Worth a try for looking.
Otherwise I only know that you can get it online
I have an emergency pack all the time since I needed it when Holly got an upset stomach when she was younger.

I hope she gets better, but if it caused by the antibiotics then the vet should also put her different antibiotics.

Kalandra 05-15-2019 12:02 PM

How is she doing now?

I'd just use the acidolphilus. Find one with a high content. Benebac is ok, but personally I don't like the first 3 ingredients in it, I'd rather just use the acidolphilus and mix it with food instead of sunflower oil, silicon dioxide and sugar....