Large amount of blood on towel, help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Large amount of blood on towel, help!

Today at around 1 pm I gave my hedgie a bath. All went as usual: she glared at me and tried to escape. I did notice some darker (almost like red) spots in her bedding, but I passed it off as her urine just causing the darker color. After her bath, I played with her a bit and then put her in a towel. It was a soft towel. She eventually fell asleep in it.

However, when I was preparing her cage, and I slowly took her out of the towel, I noticed a large circle of blood. The blood had clots. If you touch your index finger admins thumb together, the blood was a bit less than the diameter. I can not afford a vet, but am worried for my hedgie. Is there a clue as to what this is? She's seemed fine all week.
Hedgie~Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 11:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

truly not an expert but, sometimes my hedgies might run too much around their cage and hurt their feet. the thing is that when this happens, it leaves most of the bedding with tiny spots of blood all over it? so it doesn't sound like your case. i recommend you to look all over her, search for any superficial injuries she could have. if you do not find one, she might have peed it or something similar? if this is the case, man, you need a vet. that could be an urinary track infection or something along those lines which treatment will have to be advised by a professional. i don't know in which circumstances you are but this could be dangerous and you should be looking for a way to afford both the vet and the medicines she might need
v4ns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2019, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey there! So sorry to hear about your little guy. Where is the blood coming from? Is it just a surface scrape on the skin? If there’s a lot of blood, which it sounds like it from your description, it could very easily be something more serious. If it’s at all possible to maybe borrow some money to get your hedgie a vet visit, it would be highly beneficial. Vet care is definitely something that needs to be taken into consideration when getting a pet! Is she still bleeding? You could try an ointment like neosporin as a temporary dressing; make sure you keep an eye on her to look for any licking.
Hope this helps!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Blood with clots means it's coming from inside your hedgehog, possibly her bladder but most likely her uterus. This isn't something you can treat at home. You need to find a way to get her to a vet asap. This won't get better on its own. It might stop for a little while but will come back and can be worse each time. Call the vets around you and see if they will take a payment plan. Explain to them exactly what's going on.
belties likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've read over all your responses, and I have not been able to pinpoint where the blood is coming from. I will try to again when she is more alert and awake later in the night, but for now, she is sleeping and I do not want to wake her up, as I am afraid she is in pain. Do you have any recommendations for vets in Miami, Florida? She has had a clean bill of health her whole life. She IS 4-years-old now, but NOT spayed, so I am worried that she is getting a serious uterus cancer or an internal injury, as you, nikki, said above.
Hedgie~Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in