Pacing & blood - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Almost a year ago I got my first hedgehog, Norma. She was in a plastic tub and would place until her feet bleed. I mean there would be so much blood you couldn't see the pee pad at the bottom. That's actually why I took her. I'm her third home and I wanted to be able to give her more in life than a small tub with a towel in it.

Since getting her I've upgraded to a large cage, got her a wheel, litterbox with kaytee critter litter potty training litter, toys, hide, we slowly switched food, and I put a bowl instead of the bottle for water. A heat lamp with a timer...

Overall she has been making a lot of progress! She has not done this in this cage but she used to do it all the time in the small tub. I noticed her activity at night has been increasing and she is digging a lot so I put some soft bedding she can dig in, in her hide. Nothing else has changed in several months.

Again, this is her third home and I'm the only one who has put any effort into trying to understand her. I can't ask the previous owners so here I am.

Thanks!

note! I am waiting for her new carolina storm wheel to be delivered and then I will take out the bad one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190207_132226_1549565793720.jpg (125.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by k.kariah; 02-07-2019 at 02:00 PM.
k.kariah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Jeez. I'm glad she's with you now. She deserves so much better than what her previous homes gave her. Poor girl, I wish you luck and might with this girl! 💖
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I forgot to mention that photo was taken this morning in her big cage. I don't know how else to to stop her from pacing like this.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey there! Where is the blood coming from? What are all of those little seed looking pellets in her house? The amount of blood is extremely concerning; I’ve clipped Christina’s nail once past the quick but it hardly bled at all, so it’s hard for me to understand where all of this blood is coming from. I want to commend you though on the time you’ve taken to really do your research and give Norma the best care that you can! She’s probably been though a lot in her little hedgie life, so it’s understandable that she could be a more stress prone hedgie, and pacing is a very stereotypical behavior in many animals. If she’s a very active hedgie, try giving her a room or larger area outside of her house to roam around in (supervised and hedgehog proofed). She could just be much more active than you’re able to see and could use the extra “play time”. The reason I asked about the pellets was because I was wondering if there was a possibility that they might be too abrasive on her little feet, and that it could only be negatively impacting the bleeding. I also recommend seeing a veterinarian specializing in small mammals, as this is a medical issue.
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj.t View Post
Hey there! Where is the blood coming from? What are all of those little seed looking pellets in her house? The amount of blood is extremely concerning; I’ve clipped Christina’s nail once past the quick but it hardly bled at all, so it’s hard for me to understand where all of this blood is coming from. I want to commend you though on the time you’ve taken to really do your research and give Norma the best care that you can! She’s probably been though a lot in her little hedgie life, so it’s understandable that she could be a more stress prone hedgie, and pacing is a very stereotypical behavior in many animals. If she’s a very active hedgie, try giving her a room or larger area outside of her house to roam around in (supervised and hedgehog proofed). She could just be much more active than you’re able to see and could use the extra “play time”. The reason I asked about the pellets was because I was wondering if there was a possibility that they might be too abrasive on her little feet, and that it could only be negatively impacting the bleeding. I also recommend seeing a veterinarian specializing in small mammals, as this is a medical issue.
Hope this helps 🙂
Thank you for replying! Those pellets are her litter. She's actually laying in the litter box in this photo. Which she never does. I cleaned the cage and put her in her hide and she stayed there until night time. The blood comes from her feet. Her nails are clipped and there's nothing sharp she can cut herself on.

She doesn't actually use the litter box but I've read to put her messes in there to help train her to recognize that's where she's supposed to go. It's possible the pellets cut her feet but they're rounded so I didn't think they'd be a problem. maybe she's been digging in there instead of her soft bedding.

We're actually moving houses in a few weeks and I will have more room to let her play outside of the cage. I appreciate the kind words. I had absolutley no idea what I was doing but she picked me so I am figuring it out as we go.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Have you taken her to the vet for a check up and to have her feet checked? It's not normal and very concerning to have her feet bleed that much all the time.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Have you taken her to the vet for a check up and to have her feet checked? It's not normal and very concerning to have her feet bleed that much all the time.
It only bleeds like that over one night. I give her a bath and clean her cage to make sure nothing gross gets in the cuts. I completely removed the litter pan with those pellets and am only using soft bedding in the litter pan that came with her storm wheel. We have had no issues since.

Edit: I have taken her to the animal hospital before but at that point in time she was completely untamed and they has to sedate her to get her to uncurl.. Instead I watch her eating and drinking, her usual patterns and everything clears up on her feet within a few days
Old 02-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

I would still have her checked by a vet. There could be an issue with the skin or blood vessels in her feet or she could have something else going on that allows her feet to bleed that much in one night. It needs to be investigated.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in