Help! Spaying for Uterine Cancer? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Help! Spaying for Uterine Cancer?

Penelope had blood in her urine earlier this week, so I took her to the vet. I just received all her test results, and the vet says that she has uterine cancer. Luckily, it looks like the cancer has not spread yet, but they can't be 100% sure since they see some weird blip in her bladder which might be cancer. The vet suggests spaying her, but also keeps talking about the possibility of having to do a complete abdominal explore if they find more masses. Right now, Penelope is still acting herself, running on her wheel, and eating and drinking like normal. I don't know if surgery is the right route to go... I don't want her to be in pain nor do I want her to go through a surgery if it is not going to extend her life dramatically. I love her so much and it is killing me to know that she is sick!

Has anyone else spayed their hedgies after they found out that they had cancer? What is the life expectancy after the surgery? Are there any complications I should be aware of post-surgery? Did your hedgie get cancer in a different part of their body even after the surgery? Any and all advice is welcome. This is a really tough decision to make.
PenelopeTulip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2017, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, you should spay her.
Matvei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

So after talking to the vet more, they are very optimistic that the cancer has not spread and that Penelope has a good chance of having a long, happy life after the surgery. She is having her surgery tomorrow morning, and hopefully everything goes well!

Does anyone have any tips post-operation? Is there anything you did to make your little one more comfortable as they healed?
PenelopeTulip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good luck with the surgery!

Your vet should be able to give you information on what she'll need post-surgery. Make sure you know how long to have the wheel out of her cage, make sure she doesn't start climbing her cage (block any easy climbing routes & give her other things to do), and you'll likely get pain meds for her as well.
hedgielily likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
blood in urine, cancer, spay, surgery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in