Reddish/Brownish Substance on Wheel - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By ScoopzOFRolo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Reddish/Brownish Substance on Wheel

Hi all! I have been getting to the point of frustration recently. I can't seem to figure out what I am seeing in Nellie's wheel in the mornings.

A little background - Nellie is a 10 month old female, I've had her for 8 months. Not too long ago I started noticing what looked like a reddish/brownish crystally looking gunk in her wheel when I would check on her in the mornings. I took her to a local vet and he did not do any tests, only looked at pictures (which is why I asked about good Kansas City vets in a separate post). He put her on Baytril for a UTI. Now I can't really say if it helped or not because I have NEVER SEEN HER PEE BLOOD or anything of the sort!! I let her go to the bathroom in the sink whenever I get her out, and each time her urine looks completely yellow. But most nights this weird gunk is somehow making its way onto her wheel. (I should also add that I haven't been able to find any cuts or injuries on her body)

Has anyone had an experience like this?? Or any ideas??? Since she is a female and after reading up on a lot of these forums I assumed it was a urinary or uterine issue and hence took her to the vet...but like I said, I have never seen red urine first hand. Her behavior hasn't changed either. I am attaching pictures of her urine in the sink as well as the gunk on her wheel.

Thanks everyone!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel.jpg (71.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg syringe.jpg (35.5 KB, 20 views)
Nell-Bell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm wondering if it's urine that got mixed enough with some poop to give it that color... But I haven't seen anything like that before to my memory, so I'm not positive.

(Also, just so you know, I deleted the other thread underneath the "Health" forum - you only need to post things once, in whichever appropriate area. )
Nell-Bell likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2016, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Have you checked her feet? Perhaps the ridges on the wheel are hurting her feet when she runs? What kind of bedding or litter do you use?
Nell-Bell likes this.
ScoopzOFRolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopzOFRolo View Post
Have you checked her feet? Perhaps the ridges on the wheel are hurting her feet when she runs? What kind of bedding or litter do you use?
ScoopzOFRolo - I have checked her feet and haven't been able to find any visible injuries. However, I recently bought and am awaiting the arrival of a Carolina Storm Wheel in case it is her feet as well as to better see the color of her *bodily fluids* since her current wheel is dark purple. I use fleece bedding, no litter just paper towels under her wheel as that is the only place she does her business.
Nell-Bell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
blood, female bleeding, urine blood, wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in