Not eating properly and blood in urine (not sure) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Draenog
  • 3 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By HedgehogOP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2014, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Not eating properly and blood in urine (not sure)

It's been a couple of days that my hedgie isn't eating right, he only eats 1 piece every night and i'm so worried. Now he is underweight and have inward curves at sides * )( * When I was looking at the cage, I saw a reddish brown stain in his litter box which I think it's his urine. He drinks his water normally. He ate more last night when I soaked the food in water ( I think he's dehydrated due to our country's very hot weather )

I read some threads same as mine and I think it is possible to be UTI ? I really need some help. I might bring him to the vet but my parents are very cheap when it comes to animals and doesn't want expensive vet bills.
HedgehogOP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 03:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

You have to take him to the vet.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 03:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

got any ideas how much will be the vet bill?

Old 05-16-2014, 04:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

No, it is probably different in my country compared to yours. But he needs help, blood in the urine is never good and not eating is a sign of him not feeling well - unfortunately, we can't help from behind our computers.

If you can't pay vet bills you shouldn't have a pet. It's your responsibility. So you have to find a way to take him to the vet - convince your parents, promise to pay them back, pay for it yourself if you have the money right now, loan money from someone, ask the vet if you can pay later, etc.
Nancy, nikki and HedgehogOP like this.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agreed with Draenog - he needs to go to the vet, preferably in the next couple days even though it's the weekend. Get him in today or tomorrow if you can, sometimes vets are open on Saturday for a bit.

You also need to start syringe-feeding him if he's not eating on his own. You can soak his normal food in water & make sure it's mushed up well to get rid of all the big chunks, then syringe it to him. There's more information about syringe-feeding here - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ng-sticky.html
Nancy, nikki and HedgehogOP like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I convinced my parents but when I woke up this morning, I was surprised he ate normally when I gave him some catfood and a cricket. I believe there's nothing wrong with the urine, sorry cause I just over reacted with the reddish color it's just coffee brown stain of his poo.

I think he is just dehydrated due to our weather. I fed him with the food soaked with water. I still want to bring him to the vet though, just to make sure everything is ok.

thanks for the concern and advices
Draenog likes this.

Tags
blood, dehydration, eating less, underweight, vet bills

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in