What is this? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What is this?

So, recently my hedgie, Igor, has been losing weight and is constipated. Because of this I started putting in paper towels in his tray under his wheel to keep check on his urine.

Now I know most people are probably annoyed by my paranoia by now, but I think I’ve spotted blood today.

It’s a tiny spot, a droplet. But it’s red. His urine looks fine, except for one dark patch in the middle and the small blood droplet in the corner. I’ll attach a photo of each.

I’m scared. First, the weight loss. I’ve started feeding him more and he has been picking up again. He has no problem eating and still exercises normally.

Constipation. I haven’t seen a good solid poop in a few days from him. Yesterday night, there was one good poop, but, not enough to make me really stop worrying.
All his feces are small and wrinkly. Not at all as how it use to be.

Now I have a theory that the blood droplet could be from him struggling to excrete feces, and then the skin tore a little and he got a droplet of blood out.

I tried giving him the home remedy of constipation but he just refused to eat the pumpkin/squash. He never liked his veggies.

Next plan is to call the vet tomorrow, ask for a other solution, (if they even have one, vets aren’t professionals in small animals here. Only dogs and cats.)

The blood popped up though, and I’m scared. It’s one small droplet, sure. But that’s why I’m talking about it here. Is it cause for concern? Or am I over reacting?

Picture 1 - The blood droplet (you can also see the state of his feces in this pic.)

Picture 2 - The whole picture. Now you can see a small white corner, which was the papers original colour. The big splash is what I assume to be urine, but then there’s that dark spot in the middle-ish area. I... frankly don’t know what that is.

Theory is that some new urine mixed with old feces and dropped down, making this dark substance appear.

Usually Igor runs, takes a poo, and then urinates. Or other way around. That’s the first thing he does. So he probably does another poo or pee later in the night too. And those mixed.

I don’t know. I’m worried.
OddDarkMatter91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

This too! Now that I have seen the droplet of blood on the towel, I’m sure this is blood too. Now I’ve seen this before, but I never thought it was blood 100%. It always looked like food or something. But now I can put two and two together. I just don’t know where it’s coming from!

Picture - His wheel is littered with these little droplets of blood. But they’re so tiny, and mixed in with the urine and feces, you gotta squint to see it.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

My mom also has a theory, and hers is a little bit more, bright. She says that it could be that his feet get raw while running and then starts bleeding. It could explain all the little red dots on his wheel, and it could be that, that little red droplet on his towel could be him stepping off the wheel.

But I don’t know how quick hedgies’ feet heal, because they are perfectly fine. No scarring, no rawness, no open wounds. They’re a light pink like they’ve always been. Underside and top.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok so in desperation of not having Igor do a solid good poop for 5 days now, I put him in warm water, and he pooped everything out, no problem. Which is a relief.

But why does he struggle on his wheel and in his cage? Why is that all small and dry, wrinkly pieces? Will I have to put him in water every night before bed time?

Plan is, i don’t expect a decent poop tonight, seeing as he did rather clean out himself in the warm water. But tomorrow night, in the morning, I hope to see good sized, solid poops that he made by himself. If not, I’ll be taking him to the vet for help.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

My fear is that there’s a tumour growing in his intestines, making it difficult or painful for him to excrete waste.
I don’t know. I don’t know. I’m scared and I don’t know. I’m just hoping he’s able to excrete normally tomorrow night.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

Sorry I missed this one!
I dont tend to look at the bleeding threads!

Have a checks of his feet if you can and see what they look like! That would be my first thing! Check for any cuts or scabs.

If you see nothing, see if you can get him to do a wee.
Ideally in a clear tub so its easy to see. You could put it under his wheel and have him run on it a bit before putting him away, make sure he does a wee into the clear tub.
Watch to see if he shows any discomfort signs, makes any noise, and then check the urine for an visible blood.

If you can see if you can see him do a fresh poo on the wheel, again watch for any discomfort/struggling to go.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lol it’s fine!

I did check his little feet last night when I found the blood. They looked perfectly fine, no scabs or wounds. I didn’t find blood in his cage tonight. But I’ll check.

I did put him in the warm water where he pooped infront of me, and I didn’t see any visible discomfort.

But I’ll watch him when he goes on his wheel. Try and take a white or clear tub thingy, and put it underneath the wheel for his urine to leak into. (He’ll really just pee on his wheel)

I am personally hoping to see a poo, or two tonight, and tomorrow night I am praying to see good, healthy poo.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

Holly is the same with only going on the wheel so if I ever want to get a sample I have to use a freshly clean wheel and freshly clean container for it to fall into!

I do hope that its nothing!
Try checking his feet first thing in the morning if there is blood just to make sure.
Otherwise it could be a urine infection if the blood is in the urine.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Are you using a silent spinner wheel, your images look like it may be one? If yes, watch the little plastic ridges inside. If one of those ridges has a sharp spot it cut into feet. Small cuts on their feet can be extremely hard to detect as they heal quickly. The product review thread has a very nasty bloody wheel image posted from a SS.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

The wheel I’m using doesn’t really have a type name 😅 it didn’t come in a package when I bought it at the pet store. Big wheels are difficult to find here. This was the only one I could find, after the guillotine one.

I’ve felt every ridge right now, and I personally don’t feel anything sharp, but what sharp is to me, and what sharp is to Igor, are two different things. Is there anything I could do to prevent this from happening?

But I’ll get the urine sample. I got a white bottle thingy which I’ll use to catch the urine in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in