Very Red Skin especially on Forehead - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By sc2001
  • 1 Post By sc2001
  • 1 Post By PenelopeTulip

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Very Red Skin especially on Forehead

Hi. When I went to play with my hedgie (she's 5 months old) before work, I noticed she seemed more agitated than usual, and I noticed her skin seemed a little reddish in spots on her back. When she finally let me look at her face for her normal morning check-up, I was shocked to see the area around her face was very red, especially on around her forehead and behind her ears... like she has a very bad sunburn. I noticed her scratching herself a couple times when I put her back in her cage, but it didn't seem like an abnormal amount. Other than the redness and slight agitation, she is acting completely normal. I checked for mites, but I did not see any. Does anyone know what is wrong with her? Is it just very dry skin or should I take her to the vet?

I'm a first time hedgie mom, and I've only had my girl since May. This is the first time I've had any health issues. Any advice would be great! Thanks!
PenelopeTulip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not super experienced with hedgehogs but I did have a similar experience with my hedgehog Bean. Bean had all of the same symptoms as your hedgie. I checked for mites and didn't see any... So I just have her an oatmeal bath to help her dry skin... Which didn't really work that we'll. She didn't scratch much at first but as the days went by, it started getting much much worse. So i decided to bring her to the vet (she was about 8 weeks at this point). Turns out she had mites! So he treated Bean for that and all the symptoms faded pretty quickly!! So even if you may not see any mites, it still may be possible that your hedgie has them.

But before taking her to the vet you can try to sooth her skin to see it's just a bad case of dry skin. Try giving her an oatmeal bath Or applying a bit of olive oil/flax oil to the irritated area. If that doesn't help then maybe a vet visit will be needed

Good luck!
Nancy and DesireeM81 like this.

sc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I figured that was the best course of action, but I wanted some advice!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh! And I forgot to say that it could also be the bedding you are using. Some hedgies have skin reactions to certain types of bedding, especially wood based bedding! If you have liners, make sure you aren't using a strong laundry detergent because that may cause some irritation!

Bean did not do well with Aspen bedding so I switched her to liners! I love them!!

But yeah anyway that could also cause some skin irritation!
Nancy likes this.

sc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

I haven't added/changed anything in her cage for over 2 months. I gave her an oatmeal bath tonight. Hopefully that helps. If not, we're going to the vet tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!
sc2001 likes this.

Tags
health concern, skin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in