Sebastian, your skin is weird. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Isokeraunic
Default Sebastian, your skin is weird.

Sebastian has always had dry, flaky skin. We give him oatmeal baths about once a week which kind of keeps it under control, but lately things have been looking bad.

He's always had these weird dark spots on his skin. He even has one visible on his penis sheath. It looks bizarre, and I have no idea what it is, but I assume it's not bothering him too much since he isn't reacting to it. Lately, though, there's been something weirder.

He had a quill that was growing into his skin on his back. I removed it with a pair of scissors and it left two holes in his skin which I then treated with an antiseptic. Rather than heal, this has happened.

http://i.imgur.com/a0JgcSl.jpg

What is going on? Is he ok? Do I need to take him to a vet now? I'm worried about my poor boy.
Isokeraunic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

First of all, 2 hedgehogs named Sebastian in MD? Awkward! Second of all... that looks painful. I would contact the vet and determine a best course of action for your little guy. I hope it's nothing serious and can be taken care of before it develops into something that could be difficult.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefulchaos01 View Post
First of all, 2 hedgehogs named Sebastian in MD? Awkward! Second of all... that looks painful. I would contact the vet and determine a best course of action for your little guy. I hope it's nothing serious and can be taken care of before it develops into something that could be difficult.
Mine is named for Sebastian Moran. We also have Moriarty and we used to have a Watson before he passed on earlier this year.

It does look painful now, yes. I thought I was doing the right thing by removing the quill since it was hooked and growing into his skin rather deeply. I've removed weird stuff from him in the past (including a fully grown quill that had broken inside of him!) without anything bad happening and with him seeming relieved and no longer in pain. This has just gone rather poorly and is definitely a cause for concern. It looks like a divet in his body almost. :/

Part of my concern in taking him to a vet is that he's extremely skittish around people that aren't me. I'm worried he'll have to be sedated for even a basic exam.

Last edited by Isokeraunic; 09-11-2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Added a little more

Old 09-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

I understand the stress concern. Fortunately my Sebastian is super laid back and easy going. But my other hedgies, not so much. I would make an appt with your regular vet now and keep a close eye on it the next couple of days to look for improvement. The last thing you want to do is hie up the highway to falls rd at midnight some night this week because it got worse and it will take 3-5 days to get to your regular vet.
Been there, done that...

And my Sebastian is a girl. there is a story there, lol.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Going to the vet tomorrow. Very nervous though. We're concerned there might be something under the skin since the area is concave and the other black spots are, too.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm attaching a picture in hopes that more people might see it and have advice for what to do/what it might be.

I'm really worried about the poor guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a0JgcSl.jpg (23.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 09-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

If no one here knows, that is why you are going to the vet. Is he acting normally other than having spots and this thing on his back? Normal eating, activity levels, water consumption?

Old 09-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Definitely vet time. It looks like the area got very infected. The vet will likely clean it out and possibly give you medication to keep on it until it can heal up properly. What antiseptic did you use on it? Also, personally I'd ask the vet about that other quill next to the infected area, right below it in the picture. It looks curved & like it could try to become an ingrown quill. See if the vet thinks it'd be a good idea to clip it so it doesn't cause problems. The problem is that clipping quills can also potentially open them to infection (since quills are hollow), so that's why it'd be best to ask.

Also, in regards to his skittishness, your vet will likely try to look first without any aids. If that doesn't work, you guys could try a bowl of warm water to see if that convinces him to unball & cooperate a bit more. If they do have to sedate them, generally for exams or simple treatments, they just do a little bit to make them sleepier & less likely to fight or ball up. So it should be just fine. This definitely looks like a situation that warrants vet attention.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 12:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Even if the vet has to sedate him its better than leaving it and having what ever it is get worse.
Lilysmommy and CoffeeKat like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

I will be very interested in what the vet says about this situation. To me it looks as if a follicle was cut off or broken at the root which is still remaining under the skin.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
scab, sebastian, skin issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in