Sebastian, your skin is weird. - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Isokeraunic

Sebastian had a VERY successful vet visit yesterday.

It turns out that it was a sebaceous cyst, and the vet took a dental pick and some needles and was able to drain the cyst. It was rather gross, but among the crap that came out of it was a fully grown ruined quill. The black spots on his body the vet believes are moles, but there are more cysts that need to be taken care of. He gave me tools to do it. He thinks the cysts, as well as the tendency towards ingrown quills are genetic and a result of bad breeding.

In addition to all of this I saw some mites while he was examining the area. What's recommended for how to get rid of them? I'll be treating him as well as the rest of the hedgehogs in my herd.

Thank you so much for your help. I've already drained two additional cysts (also with ruined quills coming out of them. What's up with /that/, Sebastian?) This should seriously improve his quality of life and happiness now that I know what's hurting him.

He was really good for the vet. Didn't even ball up once. Just complained. He probably feels much better now.
Isokeraunic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm so glad your little Sebastian is on the road to recovery and had such a successful vet visit.
For mites, revolution is recommended around here. It's topical and safe for hedgies. There is a great section here in the forums on it.
Lilysmommy likes this.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefulchaos01 View Post
I'm so glad your little Sebastian is on the road to recovery and had such a successful vet visit.
For mites, revolution is recommended around here. It's topical and safe for hedgies. There is a great section here in the forums on it.
Thank you! I thought Revolution was what was recommended. I was thinking of getting Humilac for him after the Revolution treatment is through to try and get his skin less dandruffy in the long run.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Indeed. My Sebastian also seems to be suffering from dandruff of late. So it will be oatmeal and coconut oil baths tonight for all. I figure if one is showing issues like that I may as well address the whole array before something gets out of hand.
With a cyst issue, external oil isn't really an option for you. But, if you don't already, you could add oil to his food and it may help with dry skin. I just started my kids on a higher fish diet to ensure they get good essential oils in their diet.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Last edited by gracefulchaos01; 09-13-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefulchaos01 View Post
Indeed. My Sebastian also seems to be suffering from dandruff of late. So it will be oatmeal and coconut oil baths tonight for all. I figure if one is showing issues like that I may as well address the whole array before something gets out of hand.
With a cyst issue, external oil isn't really an option for you. But, if you don't already, you could add oil to his food and it may help with dry skin. I just started my kids on a higher fish diet to ensure they get good essential oils in their diet.
Oh! So no Humilac for Sebastian. Would adding Vitamin E to his diet be a good option then? A bit on his kibble?
Old 09-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

I have heard lots of people will add vitamin e or flax or even Olive oil to kibble and treats. I'm thinking about making frozen fruit treats with a bit of coconut oil in them. But for all I can get my kids to try different meats, getting them to try fruits is a different story.
But adding bits of necessary oils to their diets is a great way to enhance their skin quality.
I'm guessing Sebastians minor dandruff issue would be very much worse if I hadn't started adding oils in the past few months by adding oily fish to her diet.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

Just wanted to update this to let you all know that his cyst has completely healed! In addition to that healing, his temperament has also much improved. I think the poor guy was in a lot of pain from that before, but now he's much better.
nikki, Lilysmommy and coffeebean like this.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Wonderful news! Thank you for the update!!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

It is wonderful! You're welcome. I never like leaving people in the dark about how things end up.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

That's great news!

Tags
scab, sebastian, skin issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in