Care suggestions for open wound please - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nancy
  • 1 Post By hogwildhedgies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to magheera
Unhappy Care suggestions for open wound please

Our little guy has an open sore on his neck/chest. We already took him to the vet a few days ago. He said it was probably a skin infection or an abscess, but since there was no pus or drainage, our hedgehog must have ruptured it himself. The vet cleaned it and gave him an antibiotic injection, saying it should be considerably better by today.

The trouble is, Hedgeworth keeps scratching/biting at the scab and reopening the wound. I've called again for another appointment but cannot get in till Tuesday.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to care for it?

I've thought about making him little booties for his front paws and putting some Neosporin on the wound. I'd really like a way to cover it and was wondering what the best materials are and the best way to put them on so he cant take them off.

Any suggestions or ideas are very welcome.
magheera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

What happens quite frequently with boys is they get some little boy stuff on their chest. When it dries it starts to pull at the strands of fur so hedgie chews at it. That starts a sore which when it starts to heal gets itchy so hedgie chews some more. It's like a vicious circle.

Whatever you put on it may also entice him to chew at it.
nikki likes this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi I'm new to this and this is my first post. So my hedgehog who I got just over 2weeks ago came with a scab on her nipple. The seller said it was because she had just had a litter (which she did) and they had stop breast feeding but she was left with one of the baby's and she was trying to breast feed with her newly developed teeth. So I went to the vet and he said her breast muscle had become inflamed because of that. He then sent us home with a cream (like neosporen) and an antibiotic. Everything went great but after she was all healed up I noticed what looked like just a big bright red with a little cutting. Any advise would help
She is 1 yr old

Please let me know if you fiqure out anything with yours
Mamaworrier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

To the OP: My vet recommends against neosporin. Did the vet mention anything about Chlorhex or Silver Sulfadiazine? Whenever we have a hog get hurt (it's rare but occasionally one baby will nip at another or a hog will hurt itself playing), our vet usually prescribes a dilute solution of Chlorhex to clean the wound out regularly. Sometimes we use the white cream Silver Sulfadiazine too on any open wounds/lesions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaworrier View Post
Hi I'm new to this and this is my first post. So my hedgehog who I got just over 2weeks ago came with a scab on her nipple. The seller said it was because she had just had a litter (which she did)
Maybe look into the Dilute Chlorhex & Silver Sulfadiazine I recommended to the OP. Also did the vet prescribe you any anti-inflammatory medication? We usually give Metacam anti-imflammory by mouth to any hogs with injuries that are inflamed. Call the vet and ask if you think you need additional medications for her, some vets don't charge for another appt and will be more than happy to just recommend more medications or prescribe you what they decide would work best.
Also: Eeeek who sells a 1 year old injured hedgehog that just gave birth? I think any reputable breeder (backyard or professional!) would give a mommy a lot of time to adjust and heal after birth before rehoming her to a totally new environment! I also find it a little awful that this person would home her with an injury and expect you to handle the vet situation, they should've waited until her injury cleared up and she had time to adjust before selling her! Poor thing. I'm sure she's better off with you now though! Give her lots of love.
Lilysmommy likes this.
hogwildhedgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Our vet never said anything about further care. He just gave our guy an injection because oral or topical antibiotics were not a viable option for our little guy at the time. All the vet told us was to keep an eye on it and it should get better. It has improved but our guy reopened it last night.

I'll take a look into the other topical medicines you suggested. Thanks so much.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Update: The doctor gave him a steroid to encourage fast healing and to lessen the itching sensation that might encourage him to agitate it. It seemed to work. He has healed with only a little scar. However, our hedgehog seems to favor this sort of self-abuse when stressed, so its something we'll have to watch out for often. Thank you all for your concern.

Tags
bandage, biting, blood, wound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in