Bald/ dry spots on both sides of body- mites? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Bald/ dry spots on both sides of body- mites?

Hi so I recently adopted a 2.5 year old albino hedgehog. Her previous owners couldn't take care of her anymore and I am not sure what her living conditions were (abused possibly). On both sides of her body she has a big bald spot and it is incredibly dry. On one side, it looks like she also has a little pimple. I'm wondering if it is mites or another skin infection. She also isn't eating much or drinking much. Could this possibly be from stress or is this probably sickness? Also will her quills and hair grow back in the dry areas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg khaleesi.jpg (125.5 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by khallesihedgie; 06-13-2014 at 06:31 PM.
khallesihedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Poor girl. If she has mites she would be scratching a lot. I've never seen a bald patch like that. The pimple looking thing might be an ingrown quill. I would probably take her to the vet just to get her checked out especially of she's been mistreated.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would get her checked for ringworm..that almost looks like what the sides of my hedgehog Thor had after loosing skin and quills from ringworm.. But that is just my two cents/opinion.

It definitely wouldn't hurt to get over to a vet like Melanie said!
JOliverio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOliverio View Post
I would get her checked for ringworm..that almost looks like what the sides of my hedgehog Thor had after loosing skin and quills from ringworm.. But that is just my two cents/opinion.

It definitely wouldn't hurt to get over to a vet like Melanie said!

Was there any behavior differences you noticed with your hedgehog that had ringworm? Khaleesi is acting completely normal, she is being more affectionate than ever and now she is finally eating and drinking in front of us. After putting olive oil on her and bathing her, her skin is way less dry and we think that her quills are growing back. Do you think this would happen if she had ringworm?
khallesihedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had a hedgehog with ringworm, but she had it after a severe mite infection. So I don't know if she was scratching from just the mites or if ringworm was a part of her being itchy. She did lose quills.
I hope I never experience ringworm in a hedgehog again as it is a pain to treat. If your hedgie does have ringworm, you can get it from her.
If it was me, I would get the vet to check.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Only changes I noticed was that he was itching more often than normal. And he liked to hide between his wheel and litter pan (this could of been due to temperature differences or just wanting to hide under something.)

He seemed to do everything else just fine.

Thor is starting to grow some of quills back but this is after about a month and a half of treatment for it.

I'm no vet nor a hedgehog expert, but that is my opinion..
JOliverio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bald, dry skin, mites, quill loss, sick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in