Looking worse than before :( - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just spoke with her vet on the phone. He is going to do more tests and we are going to put her on antibiotics. She has about 60-70 quills in a baggie right now.. I just want her to get better and have a healthy life!

She is with me today at work, here is a quick snapshot of her snuggling in her favorite spot. Also another picture of her skin. It's hard getting a clear shot of it with a wiggly hedgehog!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miles snuggles.JPG (550.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Miles skin2.jpg (315.5 KB, 26 views)
PitterPatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Oh no, Ivomec is Ivermectin, which is often fatal to hedgehogs.

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...tin-death.html

There are a number of deaths associated with this.
I would not give any more. Revolution has proven much safer, but as far as I know does NOT treat ringworm--ringworm is a fungus.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

OMG! She has already had two doses! She will NOT be taking this anymore, ever. This is my first hedgehog and I love her to bits. I brought it up to my Vet over the phone about my concerns and he told me that was what he was trained to give (In a gentle voice not a defensive tone). I told him revolution is the only thing I am accepting from here on out. He seemed to respect that.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

I am glad to hear that. I don't know what is usually given to treat ringworm in hedgies, if that's what it is.

I hope you can get to the cause of this issue soon.
Someone with more ideas hopefully will come along soon.

ML
PitterPatter likes this.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Glad your vet was understanding about the Revolution. Sadly not all vets are familiar with hedgehogs so they don't always know what the best medications, etc are.
I hope they figure things out quickly.

Edit: She is so cute by the way. Are they going to test for ringworm? I'm not sure if you are aware, but ringworm spreads easily and can be transferred to humans.
PitterPatter likes this.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Aww thank you! She is my little sweet hedgehog. Love her so much. As for the ringworm she tested negative and negative for fungal infection as well. She has no VISABLE mites (doesn't mean she doesn't have them though) I have seen her scratch her side twice. She will lift her little leg up, give a 2 second scritch and that's that. No excessive scratching or anything.

I change her bedding every other day (for now is just newspaper)I used the white Kaytee brands of bedding (just like carefresh). She lives in a very large plastic storage bin. I chose this because I can easily clean and sanitize the bin in the bathtub and just let it dry. You can also drill holes to customize where you want to put her water bottle.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have only had my baby Hazel for about 2 weeks now so I cannot give you any insight of what to do. But I can give you some hope. Just stay strong and hope for the best, remember there is always rain before a rainbow and I am sure over time she will get better.

I wish the best of luck to you and your little hedgie and you both will be in my prayers.
PitterPatter likes this.

NewHedgieOwner100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in