Skin Infection - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

She told me that the husks could cause a blockage in her digestive system.
Katten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If you feed too many at once, yes, there's the possibility they can cause constipation or impaction issues. A couple at a time shouldn't pose a problem though, or spacing several out over an hour or two.

Agreed with Melanie that it sounds like you'll need to syringe feed her. She's probably feeling crappy between all of the sickness things going on and the medication. Antibiotics are hard on the digestive system since they kill the good bacteria as well as the bad, and I bet the metronidazole could especially be contributing to that, even though it's such a small amount. It may be a good idea to try starting to mix them with baby food now and see if she goes back to taking them better.

I wouldn't think you'd need to make another appointment to get pain meds. If you describe her behavior and your concern that she's in pain, they may prescribe it anyway. Definitely ask, at least. Most vets (at least good ones) prioritize pain management when animals are under the weather, so hopefully you can get something.

For syringe-feeding, just do what you can. There's some tips and such in the sticky I linked back on the first page that might help you. If you have issues or it's not going well, let us know and perhaps someone will have some other suggestions to help. I had to do quite a bit of syringe-feeding with Lily in her last couple of weeks, so I learned a bit then, and Nancy and Kalandra both have a lot of experience with different health issues.

Like Melanie said, hang in there. My thoughts are with both of you, and we'll help you as much as we can through the forum. It's no fun at all to have a sick baby!

Edit: I almost forgot! I'd missed the edited addition to your first post back when you added it. I would be careful using towels for her bedding if you're doing so - nails can get caught in the loops, or loose threads could get wrapped around feet and/or legs. It may be a better idea to go out and buy some fleece from a fabric store, or buy a fleece blanket from a store like Walmart that you can cut to fit her cage. Fleece can be cut and not have the ends unravel and doesn't have loops, though you'll want to make sure it's anti-pill fleece to try & avoid having a lot of fluff come free that could be annoying or stick to feet.
nikki, MomLady and Katten like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12

Last edited by Lilysmommy; 06-03-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 01:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have had to do a lot of syringe feeding for one of my hedgehogs, so I can also try and help if you have any questions.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Everything seems to be getting back to normal as far as her mood goes. I found some wormy chunks in her poop, and I'm wondering if that could be a side effect from the deworming medication, or if it is undigested mealworms?
Katten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Glad is is starting to feel better!
My guess would be that she didn't completely chew the mealworms and that is what you are seeing.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in