Flaking Skin with quills - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flaking Skin with quills

I tried looking around on here to see if I could find any information into what is going and haven't really found any information..

But I was cleaning out Thor's cage last night and found a small piece of what looked like dry skin with quills attached..

I then took him out and gave him a brief bath of warm water and a burt's bee's oatmeal shampoo, and noticed another spot of dry skin with quills that was still attached to his body on his side but was in the process of peeling.. He doesn't seem bothered by the peeling skin at all seeing how I bathed him and rubbed him down and touched the area..He is around 9 months old. Nothing has changed inside is cage, I have used the shampoo before with him and only bathe him fully one to two times a month, other times I just soak his feet cause of poop boots..

I examined him and did a quick rub down (had dark gloves) and I just saw white flakes and none were moving..But I will check him out again when I get home around 6pm (its currently 9:50am EST) I unfortunately don't have any pictures of said area. He does seem to have lost some individual quills as well..so I dunno if it is quilling or something more? And I wouldn't be able to get to the vet until Saturday..

Does this sound like anything anyone has dealt with before?
JOliverio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

How old is he?

For the dry skin I recommend using a drop of olive oil in the rinsing stage of his bath. Also, over bathing dries sking. I recommend bathing once every other week. So not too often.
Artist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

If the skin is falling off with quills attached, it's probably mites (checking for moving flakes on dark fabric is a good test, but not always accurate). You'll want to take him to the vet to get checked out. Make sure to request that he's treated with Revolution (three treatments, two weeks apart) instead of Ivermectin, as Ivermectin can be lethal.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

He is about 8 months old(he was born in july) I didn't see any when I looked at him at home...

But I took him to the vet today, because I was able to duck outta work early...

But the mite test came up negative, but I was told it still could very well be mites so the doctor did treat with revolution ( have to go back in two weeks). They are also running a bacterial/fungal test as well, should have results by the time I go back.

This vet was very knowledgeable and a lot cheaper than the first one i had gone to
Old 05-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

So just got a call from the vet and he has ringworm...no idea how he would of gotten that..
Old 05-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm so sorry. I wish him the best.
Artist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, going to pick up the oral medication for him after work and get some more information on what I can do and what I shouldn't do given this situation. I still have to go back next week to continue with the Revolution treatment...I am hoping nothing else goes wrong health wise with the little guy!
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

You are great getting him to the vet so quickly!!! Keep us updated........it sounds like Thor is on the way to recovery!
Lilysmommy likes this.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

This is what the skin/quills looks like if anyone wanted to know..

Old 05-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

So its been a few weeks since starting treatment for ringworm and Thor received the two treatments for mites, however he is still losing some quills and has a few scabs/sores on his body...

He seems to be eating/drinking okay from what I can tell and only some slightly behavioral changes (hissing a bit more when handled(probably due to sores/syringie feeding medication) and digging/hiding himself underneath his wheel on the litter pan..)

I have to go back on May 29th for another check up visit and hopefully things start to clear up...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in