Dry skin/ bleeding? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Dry skin/ bleeding?

Hi there! A few hours ago I was snuggling with Ezra and I realized his skin was very, very flaky. He was pushing against me into my arm and a few of his quills fall out like they normally do and I noticed a small bleeding patch with a little gooey substance almost like puss, but not very thick at all just a little thin line of it leading from the spot to one of the quills. I checked around for any other bloody patches, but there was no other that I could see. He didn't seem very phased by it, so I'm wondering if it was just a quill pulled out when he was pressing and pushing against my sweatshirt. I try to keep it at least 72 degrees in here and I check his underbelly from time to time to make sure he isn't cold, and usually he is not. I recently changed his bedding from fleece blankets to Carefresh recycled paper bedding, since my vet recommended it, which he enjoys burrowing and digging in.

Although there were no mites found, he was recently treated for what I thought to be mites on February 27th this year. He had his third/ last injection of ivermectin that day (didn't discover that it may be bad for hedgies until later on, but he didn't seem to have any behavioral or changes except for being a lot more perky.) He had massive quill loss, and he still loses quills, but not as much now. He is about 9 - 10 months old and although he continues to lose quills, I DO see quite a few areas where new quills are growing in. Surprisingly he hasn't been as much of a grump even though they are growing in. Can this cause dry skin? Could he possibly have mites...again in such a short period of time?

The only change in behavior I have noticed from him is that he hasn't been wheeling as much lately and he ACTUALLY doesn't mind snuggling with me (usually he wants to burst out of my arms and run around on the bed until he gives up with me trying to snuggle and goes to sleep instead). He's been pretty calm. I was also wondering if the weather was affecting him because it has been raining for nearly a week and I was wondering if weather affects moods in hedgehogs like it does in humans and other animals, such as cats and dogs.

Sorry for the long post, I am just very concerned. I am considering changing his bedding back to fleece immediately after his bath.

Also I have docter Sheffield's Triple Antibiotic Ointment that should be the equivalent to neosporin. I want to know if it's safe to put on the bloody spot after a bath.

I included some pictures of the newly quills and dry skin (taken before I noticed the bloody spot). The third one is a clearer picture of what I am talking about.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dry1.jpg (63.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg dry3.jpg (66.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg dry2.jpg (59.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by QuillyButt; 04-08-2014 at 09:10 PM.
QuillyButt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

If his skin is dry enough to be bleeding/oozing, I'd recommend taking him to the vet to get checked for a possible skin infection before you try any remedies for dry skin, especially since you've noticed a decrease in his wheeling.

What's your heating setup like? If the weather is hot (like 80+) it can affect their behavior and they may become more lethargic, but it sounds like you keep it on the low side. You may want to increase the temp a couple degrees.

If the vet determines that it's just dry skin, try a few oatmeal baths and get some Humilac spray (Petco only sells it online, but Amazon has it for cheaper). Spritz him a few times daily, being careful to avoid getting it on his face/eyes.

On a side note, do not let him receive any more Ivermectin shots. If it turns out his has mites, insist on using Revolution. You'll need three applications of it.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

If the dry skin is new or if its getting worse it could be from the change of bedding to Carefresh. Carefresh is very drying to their skin and often causes bad dry skin. You might want to try changing back to fleece for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. You can always fill a box or igloo with fleece strips for him to burrow and dig in.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in