Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Skin (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   little sores on backend? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57762)

drode20 04-05-2014 12:40 AM

little sores on backend?

4 Attachment(s)
Alright...I am in need of sine serious help here....we have two hedgie girls that live together happily. But recently I noticed that one had puffy skin by the quill line of her rump. She has been quilling I know but not all of the sore spots are where quills are. The sores when I rub them nkw the skin comes right off like it was a scab... she is acting normally and eating. I cant see if she drinks alot. A spot showed up on the back of her leg but mostly its along the very back of her quills and ends just below the tail.

Im a first time hedgie owner. We got our girls 3ish weeks ago now. Please help! Only one of our girls has this problem and they cuddle up every night I am worried about syaph/ingrown quills and whatever other horror senario comes to mind....nit sure how well you can see in my pics. Its a nightmare trying to take a pic of a squirmy wormy like waffles!

DasIgelPoggie 04-05-2014 01:14 AM

Looks like ingrown quills to me, poor dear! While I AM NOT A VET, and I do NOT count as seeking actual medical advice, this is how I typically handle it-- If you have a q-tip, try applying a little bit of pressure on the bumps, see if the pus will drain at all. After that, get some regular strength neosporen and apply it. If for any reason your not comfortable with doing that, take her in to the vet. There is a possibility that it is staph, but honestly, it just looks like some nasty ingrowns to me. Keep her clean and dry and re-apply the neosporen once a day, it should start improving within a day or so. :) Again, that's just my opinion and experience though-- you know your baby best!

nikki 04-05-2014 01:22 AM

That looks like more than ingrown quills to me, it looks more like a skin infection. I would take her to the vet to get it checked out before it gets worse.

drode20 04-05-2014 02:09 AM

thats what i was thinking because a spot showed up behind her knee too..... it makes me sad because i have been working hard and doing the best i can

drode20 04-05-2014 02:09 PM

Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

abbys 04-05-2014 04:43 PM

How soon can you get her to the vet? Ask them to do a skin scraping to test for both bacterial and fungal infections.

In the meantime, keep the area clean and don't put any oils on it, as oil may trap whatever bacteria is already there and make it worse.

drode20 04-05-2014 04:47 PM

Could it be an allergic reaction? Because only one of my girls has it and they cuddle up every night

abbys 04-05-2014 04:56 PM

If it's an allergic reaction affecting her skin it likely wouldn't be isolated to one area like that. I would separate your girls immediately to avoid spreading the infection, until a week or two after the treatment (antibiotics, antifungals, etc) is complete to make sure the other one doesn't have it.

shetland 04-05-2014 07:49 PM

Please do not feel bad about yourself; you are concerned about your hedgie and will take action to solve the problem early.

drode20 04-05-2014 08:05 PM

Update I cleaned the area and put neosporin on last night...this morning everything looked raw and it looked like there were more spots all scabby instead of just sore bumps....ill try and get a pic later when im home again. ..still only one hedgie with the problem. I was told by my breeder it also could be that the quills of the other girl could be irritating mine since they try and stuff themselves in the smallest area and are all up on each other. ... what do you guys think? She is still acting normal eating and still rubs and acts curious. She has been quilling.

The only other thing that makes me worry is both our girls have been having some pretty liquidy poops. I think we switched their food too quickly since we onky r3cieved a small bag to take home. ..Could the runny poops be connected to the skin problem?