little sores on backend? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I agree with Nikki that it looks like a skin infection.

If your girls enjoy each other, I wouldn't separate. They've been together so the other is already exposed. Separating them isn't going to prevent the other from getting what she is already exposed to and they may be more stressed being apart.

Usually a staph infection will only affect one baby in a litter typically because the one has a more immature immune system. It happens with puppies, kittens and other baby animals as well.

When you take her to the vet, take both girls so the vet can get a weight on the other as well. If she does develop sores too, you should be able to just phone the vet and get meds for her as well.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 04:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Update: both hedgies are full of energy...everyone ate everyone drank and both are running around their cage like maniacs exploring and playing. I washed everything they had in white vinegar trying to take anything that could make them allergic away and well see how waffles looks in the am! Planning to call the vet on monday if there is not signifigant improvement
drode20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

Regardless of energy level; I would still call the vet.
nikki likes this.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

I know. Im just glad to see that this isnt affecting her in other ways yet thats all
Old 04-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

The sores keep looking more and more open and seepy and raw....I feel so terrible. The soonest I could get them is wednesday...I hope everything is ok and I can get some answers...I worked so hard getting ready and researching and loving her and somehow she ended up sick. ... :'(
Old 04-08-2014, 01:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

Are there any other vets in your area that might be able to get her in sooner? I'm so sorry it's not just an ingrown quill-- I was on my phone when I first saw this thread, it's definitely a lot worse than it looked on my tiny screen. :/ Stuff happens even to the best prepared, you're getting her looked after and that's what matters!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

But you do have an appointment, and she will be seen and treated. You really should not come down so hard on yourself; you are obviously quite worried and making sure that your hedgie will be treated.
Lilysmommy likes this.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Got in to the vet today. Found out pretty much what I already knew that my cat has ear mites and my waffles has a skin infection...but the good news is I got 3 weeks worth of antibiotic and the cat and the hedgehogs are both being treated for mites! The doctor prescribed ivermectin and pre dosed it for us. its so low I dont think i have to worry about them overdosing (which was a concern for me). They are due back to the vets in two weeks. Ill keep everyone posted!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Personally, just to be safe, I would have the vet switch to Revolution for at least Waffles when you go in next. Even if you're pretty sure they're not overdosing, it would be much better to be safe than sorry. What method is he using for the Ivermectin? Injected is the most dangerous, but oral & topical are dangerous as well. And it's usually the second treatment where hedgehogs start showing issues. I discussed the issue with Ivermectin & hedgehogs with the wildlife rehabber I work with (because she's used it for years with wildlife & not had issues) and she wondered if it might be a species sensitivity or if it stays in their system longer than with other mammals or something, causing the second treatment to be an overdose, even if each of the doses is the right amount.

Either way...I really strongly recommend that you play it safe & have the vet use Revolution on the next visit. I would hate to have this situation take a terrifying turn for the worst for you and Waffles. I'm so glad that you got her in and she'll hopefully be on the mend soon.
Nancy and nikki like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Oral Ivermectin. a dose of .01ml every ten days for 5 cycles.....He had a vet book that was for hedgehogs and said that revolution only worked on some kinds of mites hedgehogs get and not one of the kinds and he redid his math over and over.....but I don't know what I should do

Tags
health, quilling, skin, sores, staph

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in