Dry Skin without flakes? Frequency of Oatmeal Baths? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dry Skin without flakes? Frequency of Oatmeal Baths?

A few weeks ago my humidifier died. According to my thermometer it hadn't done anything to raise the humidity anyway, so I figured it was pointless to get another. Well, things got static-y fast and by a week later my girl was itchy. I replaced the humidifier but it's been a couple weeks and she is scratching non-stop now. I struggle to get the humidity above 16% most of the time.

I don't have very good vision and she is squirmy, but I don't see dry skin flakes on her. I don't even see any come off on a dark shirt when I flip her over. She is not losing quills. I put oil on her back and belly every week and after weeks of doing it she starts to feel a little greasy. I'm not sure if putting oil on her every week all winter is too much, but it doesn't seem to do much.

I want to give her an oatmeal bath, but I gave her one a little less than a month and a half ago, and a month and a half before her last bath she got a few of them because she had been quilling. Is it okay to bathe her in oatmeal again or is it too soon? I am also concerned that her itching might be aggravated because she is on clay litter, which I know is bad but she eats everything, especially paper products, so I need to find a non-dusty alternative that she can still dig in (her litter box is big and is under her wheel and she loves to play in it under there).

If it's okay to give her an oatmeal bath this soon, I want to get Humidilac to use from now on but have questions about using that if I don't see dry skin, which can be saved for another time.

Any advice on bathing frequency? Or on litter she can play in but won't harm her if she eats it?
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in