Severely itchy skin after bath with aveeno shampoo - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Severely itchy skin after bath with aveeno shampoo

I gave Charlotte a bath today with Aveeno baby oatmeal shampoo. She slept for a few hours, and now she won't settle down at all. She's jumping and scratching and I'm afraid she'll hurt herself, but every time I touch her it seems to irritate her even more. This isn't the first time she's had the shampoo used on her, so unless something's changed (which of course is possible!) I don't think she's allergic. I just gave her a strictly oatmeal bath, no shampoo or anything, and I'm hoping that helps. I already use a humidifier in her home, and I regularly put flax seed oil in her food. She does seem mostly to have settled in the time it's taken me to type this, but she's still a bit restless. Thoughts on anything else I can do?
Amanda:) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

She's still frantic, and it's really scaring me.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

How is she acting frantic? Blindly running? Jumpy when nothing is touching her? Scratching at one area mostly? If yes, where?

If she is scratching at one area mostly, look for a quill that is out of place.

If you are fairly certain its related to the bath earlier, try giving her another bath in straight water. Wash away any residue that may be present.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry, I should have clarified. She's jumpy when nothing is touching her and shaking a lot, like it's an itch she can't scratch. I'm fairly certain it's related to the first bath, that's why I did the second oatmeal bath; she has dry skin, (which hasn't been helped by this extra dry Iowa winter,) and I was hoping the oatmeal would help like it has several times in the last few months.
I think I may just try the straight water thing. I just hate to give her three baths in one day, especially since she hates them!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Try the straight water. If it continues, monitor her actions. See if she's favoring one side when she jumps. Shaking her head. Tilting her head to one side. Scratching at one area a lot.

Jumpy actions like that usually means something is causing her discomfort. A quill out of place. Water in the ear. Ear mites. Mites in general, etc.

Are you certain she just has dry skin and doesn't have mites?

If she just has extremely dry skin, you may want to try a topical treatment in addition to dietary to get her through this awful winter we have been having. A drop of vitamin E oil at a couple of spots on her back can help. Vitamin E is very sticky, so it only takes a little and it lasts for a long time. You'll find other recommendations on here too. Some use humilac spray (no personal experience with it), or other oils. I've always favored E.

Oh and some other things to look for. Is there any new smell in the area, new sound? Television that is turned on that wasn't earlier? I've seen some odd things over the years. Like a hedgehog who went frantic because of a television program, once the channel was changed, he settled. Another panicked because an open container of bag balm was near him. So look around for sounds/smells that could be causing some agitation.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm sure it's not mites, I've been checking her regularly since she's been so itchy lately. Thank you for your advice, she seems to have settled down, and I'm hoping it sticks. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on her though! And I'll definitely look into the vitamin E tomorrow. I've tried doing that with olive oil before, which she hates, but she'll survive!
And sorry to freak out earlier. She's been like this before, but it's only ever lasted a few minutes. Three hours of it had ME a little frantic. Thanks again!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm happy that things seem to be better then. Hopefully you'll be able to figure something out with her skin.

I'm a fan of the vitamin E oil because it is so thick and sticky. I've tried other items, but it is my 'go to' product when I have one with very dry skin. I like how thick it is, It seems to last longer than other items. I'm also a big fan of Sunshine Factor as a dietary supplement for skin issues.

Good luck, hopefully your evening will be a bit more restful now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in