Hedgehog Central banner

Bump on leg and vet can't determine what it is...please help.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  megathon 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

Penny is just under two years old, and my boyfriend and I have had her since she was five weeks old. Since we adopted her, she has been completely healthy.
Three nights ago, I noticed a small, solid mass (about 1 mm in diameter) on her leg, right above the joint. I took her to the vet the next morning, and she was unable to determine what it is. The mass was too small to do a fine needle aspirate on, so she gave us the option of having it surgically removed, or keeping an eye on it and having the surgery completed in the event that it grows.
As I don't want to subject Penny to general anesthesia unless it's absolutely necessary, I opted to wait and keep an eye on it. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out anything that could cause such a mass, other than cancer or a benign cyst.
The vet ruled out the possibility that the mass has anything to do with her joint as it moves with her skin when touched, and said that it was unlikely that it is a skin infection because it isn't inflamed.
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about what else this mass could possibly be. Here is some more information about it:
It hasn't grown since it first appeared three nights ago.
It is flesh-colored.
It is solid to the touch, but moves around with her skin.
She lets me touch it and doesn't react to it at all when I do, which leads me to believe that it isn't causing her any pain or discomfort.
She has been eating, drinking, using her wheel, and going to the bathroom as she usually does, and we haven't noticed any changes in her demeanor or behavior.

I appreciate any information that you can give us that would help our little girl.

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe a lypoma, aka 'fatty', tumor? It sounds scary, but they are harmless as long as they aren't impeding motor or some other function. It's a collection of fat cells that accumulated and formed a hard mass. It's pretty common in other animals, so you should be able to find info on the internet. However, in my experience, they don't grow very fast so if the one on Penny seems to be getting bigger or changing, it probably needs to be removed.
Good luck!

#4 ·
Thank you for the suggestions! I will look into both of them while of course continuing to keep an eye on it and keeping in mind that she may need surgery to remove it. It's easing my mind a bit to know that there are possibilities other than a tumor.

We have been trying, but can't get a clear picture of it...it's so small that even if she's standing totally still, the picture comes out blurry or you can't tell that there's anything there at all.

Thank you again for your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.