Mit treatment - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mit treatment

Hi,

I am a relatively new hedgehog owner since april, and i have found that Henry has mites. I assume so at least, as i itch after holding him, he loses quills, and his skin is dry and flaky. Oh, I also saw little white mites crawling on my skin after holding him the other day! The nearest vet is 2 hrs away. I have been reading on previous posts that you can treat with Revolution, but which kind? I know you can find it online, but it seems to be for dogs and cats or both. I have seen about 6 varieties, all for dogs and cats, but I didnt find one for small animals or exotics. Which kind have any other previous owners used in the past? Are there any home remedies or temporary treatments that anyone is aware of? Please help! He is really skiddish and I have already had difficulty getting him socialized and to warm up to me, and I am sure this problem is not helping the poor guy
Cmccoy29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

You really want to make the visit to the vet to get the proper dosage. You can make it a wellness-checkup as well, get to know the vet in low-stress conditions instead of frantic last-minute emergency!

For hedgehogs, we use the lower-concentration Revolution (the stuff used for kittens, cats, and dogs under 5lbs: mauve, blue, or taupe package colours). Revolution is only available with a prescription. The dosage quantity and frequency (x amount every 2-4 weeks for 2-4 doses total) depends on your hedgehog's weight and the intensity of the mite-outbreak: your vet will calculate it for you.

Do not let them inject Ivermectin. It is much easier to overdose with tiny little hedgehogs, the consequences of overdosing are much more severe (potentially fatal), and your hedgehog's reaction can get more intense over time (fine on the first shot, dead on the third...)
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll add, do not use anything you can buy over the counter.

Where do you live? Sometimes vets are just hard to find, maybe someone here knows of a closer vet.
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agreed with the above comments...and keep in mind that wellness visits are a good idea with hedgehogs (as with any animal), so if you're taking the trip to get the mites treated, you can also have the vet check out everything else & make sure he's in good health otherwise.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hedgog health, mites, skin care, skin problem, skin treatment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in