Help please! 7 week old baby has only been home for a week & has crusty zits on face? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lerobot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Help please! 7 week old baby has only been home for a week & has crusty zits on face?

Hey unfortunately even though our baby has ony been home for one week we already have a health concern. The day after I brought our baby home he had a very small scab under his eye on the side of his face. I made sure to inspect every inch of the home to make sure nothing could have injured him and his housing is to perfect spec even with a Carolina storm wheel. I noticed today instead of one side the scabs have spread to both sides of his face under his eyes, they are crusty and have bumps around them also. I have replaced his fleece liners with aspen hoping to have it be more like home since the breeder had used shavings. I have also treated everything from the start with allergies in mind. Do you know what could be causing this? I'm starting to get worried. I've emailed the breeder and will contact a vet ASAP. In the mean time though, this forum has helped since before and during my new hedgehog mom life and I'm hoping I can get some help. Thanks !
Lerobot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Edit- photos, addl info

here are some photos i wanted to add. also i changed his bedding almost 4 days ago, and it has still gotten worse. is this perhaps stress related? in research i can't find the answer. also the only things in his cage are water, and food dish, hut, wheel and litter pan and tray, fleece scraps and toilet paper tubes (cut down the center with rounded edges). and i gave him his first bath today. i haven't noticed any scratching, he doesn't seem super uncomfortable and the scabs aren't visible anywhere else.

hoping someone can help! thanks in advance. xo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hedg.jpg (191.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg hedg2.jpg (182.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg edhg3.jpg (201.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 10-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Get rid of the aspen and go back to liners. Aspen can cause allergies. Once the aspen is gone give him another bath to get rid of any aspen residue.

It could be a staph infection which is fairly common with babies. If it shows up anywhere else, and doesn't start to improve after the aspen is gone, he will need to see the vet.

He'es a cutie.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Get rid of the aspen and go back to liners. Aspen can cause allergies. Once the aspen is gone give him another bath to get rid of any aspen residue.

It could be a staph infection which is fairly common with babies. If it shows up anywhere else, and doesn't start to improve after the aspen is gone, he will need to see the vet.

He'es a cutie.
The only thing is we recently (4 days ago) changed his bedding but he came home 3 days prior to that and had fleece only and the scabs had started to appear on day 2. i thought maybe it was stress from the change in environment and being in a new home, but since it's spread i'm def thinking there's an underlying issue. looks like i'll be making a trip to the vet soon. & thank you for your reply! he IS a cutie
Old 10-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

UPDATE***!

It must have been the stress from a new environment because he woke up last night & his face is totally clear! We had bonded over bath time the day before, and I think it relieved his stress and he is not only scab free but he's also hardly balling up now and exploring right away when we take him to play. I'm so very happy. Thank you SO much for your help you guys~
Lilysmommy and abbys like this.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Glad to read that your little one is doing better. That is quite the quick turn around in behaviour - most posts I read on here the change is gradual. Maybe you have a very adaptable hedgie!

This forum has been a tremendous joy and a wonderful source of information so I am completely grateful. Happy to read you've had the same experience.

SiouxzieKinz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in