New hedgie owner - dry skin - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Bad enough that he should be treated, IMO. I have seen basically bald hedgies that lost their quills for one reason or another, and obviously your little dude isn't that bad. But, like I said before, the sparse quill placement isn't 'normal', per se. Don't freak out - just look into getting the Revolution.

And remember - "Just say 'NO' to Ivermectin!"
Musicality likes this.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
ok got it! It's attached. See how there seems to be so much bare skin? To me it looks like a potato with spikes! lol Or is that what he's supposed to look like? Maybe he's a bit chubby so his spikes don't cover him that well when he's rolled up sleeping....?

how much olive oil should I put on his food?

I think I'll try Revolution (1 drop behind 1 ear) and see if it helps. Lilysmommy, the scratching seems to be constant, every few seconds.
It that doesnt help, I'll def take him to the vet.

Let me know if the pic looks abnormal to you guys....thank you!!
Here's a pic of what my little guy looks like when he's balled up, for comparison. I'd take your guy to the vet for sure, and I 2nd the "Just say 'NO' to Ivermectin!" I'm sure he'll be right as rain in no time at all.

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...30-191914.html
Musicality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Musicality, thank you for the picture!
I ordered Revolution online yesterday, and will buy flaxseed oil today so I can bathe him with it in the meantime.
Also heard of putting 1 drop of flax seed oil on his food - is that something I can do every day or every other day?
Thank you all for your help
Musicality likes this.
George is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

No prob on the pic. It's his favorite pose, lol. When I got Ozzie he was itchy from dry skin because of aspen shavings he used to live in. No signs of mites. I soaked oatmeal in a sock in his bath water, squeezing it till the water was milky. I washed him with aveno oatmeal unscented body wash. Then rinsed as normal. Then I put a capful of flaxseed oil and olive oil in a cup of warm water and poured it over him. Then I held him in a towel till he was dry. I'm also going to put a drop or two of flaxseed oil on his food. I haven't seen him scratching since. I would be extra gentle with your little hedgie though.
Musicality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Wow, all that all at once?? I really haven't seen any moving white specks, just tons of immobile white specks...so I'm hoping it's flecks of dry skin.
I want to try the oatmeal thing and flaxseed bath, but should I do it at the same time?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hi. What really works for Milligan, who really suffers from dry skin, is olive oil. I bought a can of spray olive oil and spray one squirt onto her food each night and if he's really bad he gets a spray directly onto his back after his oatmeal bath. The spray is good as it doesn't drown his food in oil and it gets between the spikes to his skin. Hope this helps.
belly423 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ok, so here is an update: Georgie is scratching a lot less, loosing less quills, but his skin doesn't look better.
I've given him 2 baths with aveeno oatmeal baby wash, have been putting some drops of olive oil on his food daily, and I've given him Revolution.
I think I need to do what musicality did and try the oatmeal, aveeno, olive oil, all at once!

So I'm happy he's scratching less, but he still looks like a potato with sticks poking out

I'm going to do what musicality suggested for the rest of this week, and if it still doesn't improve, schedule a vet visit. sigh.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

I wouldn't suggest bathing him every day cause baths can also cause dry skin. Also how did you apply the revolution (amount? how often?).
Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

I applied 1 drop to the back of 1 ear and that's it. Should I repeat it?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Dosage is 0.01mL medication (1 drop) for every 100 g of hedgehog. Repeat the treatment every 2-3 weeks for 3-4 total treatments.

Revolution only kills adult mites, not the eggs. It lasts for a few weeks, but you want to keep up the constant protection (thus the 2-3 week reapplication) for longer than the maximum lifecycle from egg to adult mite, and just a bit longer to take care of any lucky ones that laid eggs before dying.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in