Strange bump on nose, sore on armpit...one grouchy hedgie. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Strange bump on nose, sore on armpit...one grouchy hedgie.

Hi all! My 1.5 year old female hedgie (P.B.) has been having a rough go of it the past couple weeks. I clean out her cage twice a week (we use fleece liners washed in gentle hypoallergenic detergent, wipe down cage with gentle baby wipes, wash toys/wheel/litter pan in dawn and wipe down wipes), and several weeks ago I was shocked to find 15-20 quills in her cage. I immediately took her to the vet, and mites were ruled out (all her quills maintained the follicle and nothing could be found on her). He still gave her a round of treatment (Noromectin/Ivomec injected into treats and fed to her once a week for three weeks).

We are almost to the third treatment, but she is still losing quills (although more like 3-4 a day now since the initial loss of 15-20). She has also had horrible dandruff throughout this whole ordeal and has lost a lot of her fuzzy belly fur. The quill and fur loss is not concentrated to one area, so we started adding Missing Link to her food (Natural Balance Premium Cat Food), and also have a humidifier by her cage since it is rather dry and hot here in Eastern New Mexico.

On Sunday, however, I noticed this odd growth on her nose. It is rough and I do not think it is a scab:

And today, when trying to get that photo to take with us to the vet again tomorrow, I noticed this sore under her armpit:

Has anyone had/seen anything like the nose bump before? I am fairly certain the sore is from her scratching so much. We have tried just about everything to help alleviate her symptoms because she has been very cranky (more so than usual ). She is still eating, drinking, and most nights, running on her wheel. Her hedge poo was a little green today, but I am not sure if that is because we introduced the Missing Link to her bowl yesterday.

I love my little girl so much and it is killing me to see her in such discomfort. Our vet does not get many hedgies, so most of the time I feel like I am educating them on different ailments...so any suggestions or advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated for my little Pinto Bean before we head back to get her looked at tomorrow!

P.B./Pinto Bean/Peeberton/Peebs/Little Miss
verucacherry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Strange bump on nose, sore on armpit...one grouchy hedgie.

Do NOT let them give her a 3rd round of Ivermectin. It can be lethal for hedgies. I'll try to dig up a couple of past threads that go into the details of it.

Unfortunately, I can't actually answer any of your questions...I just wanted to put the Ivermectin warning out there. I hope she feels better and I hope you can figure out what the problem is!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here are a couple past discussions on Ivermectin.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6&p=1953

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22713

Good luck with everything!

Old 06-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the head's up about her meds. She really hates the way the stuff tastes, so I'd be happy to find an alternative to soothe her skin irritation.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Back from the vet and wanted to post an update in case any one else's hedge is suffering from similar ailments.

Peeberton has been placed on 0.7 ml of Griseofluvin once every 24 hours for 30 days. This is just in case her infection is of the fungal variety. So if you see something like this on your hedge, please take them to a vet asap. The total cost for treatment and meds was 60 bucks...very cheap if it means a healthy hedgie.

I also had a very long chat with my vet about Revolution vs Ivomec/Ivermectin, and was startled to find out that they're essentially the exact same drug. The reason Ivermectin can sometimes be lethal is that many vets give too high a dosage for such a small and delicate creature. So, still beware! When in doubt, I would probably ask for a topical treatment like Revolution just because it is easier to apply. Keeping the treatment on the body (since that's where the mites are!) makes more sense to me than having something for them to ingest.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

That's good that the vet is trying a fungal thing. I was actually thinking the bump on her nose kind of looks like a wart. I hope she responds to the new treatment!

Also, I did not realize "P.B." stood for Peeberton. I love it!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sonic had the same red thing in the same place 6 months ago about. The vet I took him too did not know what it was from. When I saw your post it looked familiar. the red mark went away within 2 weeks with antibiotic cream on it that the vet gave me. I do not remember what it was called.
Sugargliderlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Abbys, I was thinking the same thing. It just kind of appeared out of nowhere one day! And my poor girl probably has an identity crisis with all the nicknames she has! :P

Sugargliderlove, did Sonic have any other issues with dry skin and such? I am thinking Peebs may have just scratched so hard in that one spot it wore a hole. I was instructed to put Neosporin on it nightly when we give her the fungal treatment.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

I did not notice that his skin was dry or anything when he had. I think that is what the vet gave me was something like Neosporin. I give flaxseed oil on the hedgies food 3 times a week. which i forgot to give them it tonight. his sore came out of nowhere as well. he is healthy as can be now. I have not had any issues since that time he had the sore.
Sugargliderlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Glad to hear Sonic made a full recovery! I am hoping P.B. will follow suit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in