Infected pore? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hedgielovers12
  • 1 Post By Hedgielovers12
  • 1 Post By Ria

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2020, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Infected pore?

Hi, about 3 weeks ago my hedgehog Maci was dealing with pretty extreme quill loss, up to 15-20 a day even, as well as really dry flaky flaky skin, and this was going on for a few weeks, I kept giving her warm baths in oil and putting oil on her skin to try to help but all of that seemed to make it even worse, fast forward to the vet visit, we took her to vet 3 weeks ago and he checked her out and gave her some revolutio for mites, two treatments, the first treatment the next day I already noticed she was losing less quills and her skin wasn’t flaky anymore, is hasn’t been flaking off since, then two weeks later I did the second dose and her skin has improved, her quills loss is less but she’s still losing quills everyday none the less, I’d say about 5 a day. But it’s better than before, anyways her skin is still pretty dry, it’s especially dry near the area where the revolution goes like between the shoulder blades, and right there she’s looks sparse and you can really see the impact of her quills loss in that specific spot, and in that spot there this little part of her skin that keeps excreting pus, I’ve cleaned it today but no matter what I do it just keeps excreting pus and it’s also red there, so when I gave her a bath today (I just washed her with warm water but that specific spot I cleaned off with some hedgehog shampoo) and her pores really opened up I can see the culprit of the pus, it’s this hole in her skin and this pore looks inflamed. Have any of you experienced this first hand and what exactly is this, also I will be taking her back to the vet for this. Images of the pore below.
Hedgielovers12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

There have been cases where a mite infestation led to a bacterial skin infection later. I have had a hedgehog who had dry skin that turned out to be caused by a skin infection. One of my very first hedgehogs had mites, was treated and a bit later had a nasty staph infection show up as pustules around the base of his quills. Or it could simply be just a clogged pore that needs a little help from an antibiotic at this point to heal. You mentioned you will be taking her back to the vet to be evaulated. But, I'd also discontinue the oil treatments for now. My concern is that they could be promoting bacterial growth or causing the clogged pore. Let us know what the vet says.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have not used oil on her in about a month, and i dont really plan on using it on her skin ever again as i never saw good results using oils. My vet wasnt even sure it was mites it just saw how flaky her skin was and gave us revolution, the next morning after her first dose her skin was not flaky at all anymore, considering i saw pretty good results with revolution does that mean it was for sure mites? Shes still dry and itchy but not like before atleast, the vet appointment is on the 9th in about a week, so ill update on how it went and if she heals. Thank you for the reply btw
Spiky_Floof<3 likes this.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

You mentioned you're not using oils topically anymore, so I'm wondering why your hedgie's skin looks so glossy in those pics? I'd wager that a follicle which lost a quill during the likely mite infestation has developed a bacterial or fungal infection. Oils can trap bacteria and moisture against the skin, which could have contributed to the development of a skin infection. You'll probably need some antibiotics to clear this up, or antifungals depending. Can I ask how often you bathe your little one? Sometimes reducing the frequency of baths can help with dry skin issues. It seems counter intuitive, but the pH of pure water (7) is often more alkaline than the pH of natural oils that coat an animal's skin. Now I'm not sure what the pH of hedgehog skin is, but humans fall in the 4.5-5.5 range (black coffee is about 5). That means plain water can irritate skin, especially if the body's natural barrier of oils has been compromised by washing too frequently. Just a thought which could be relevant, or not.... Dry skin is a pretty common hedgie issue.
BloodSpell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2020, 02:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodSpell View Post
It seems counter intuitive, but the pH of pure water (7) is often more alkaline than the pH of natural oils that coat an animal's skin. Now I'm not sure what the pH of hedgehog skin is, but humans fall in the 4.5-5.5 range (black coffee is about 5). That means plain water can irritate skin, especially if the body's natural barrier of oils has been compromised by washing too frequently. Just a thought which could be relevant, or not.... Dry skin is a pretty common hedgie issue.
Humans skin Ph falls between 4.5 to 6.5 most commonly at a 5 - so yes water irritates our skin.

Dogs cats skin Ph falls between 6 and 8.5 - Water irritates some dogs skin but not all dogs as some dogs sit at 7, but dogs that are above and below 7 do get effected by water

According to some research I have done Hedgehogs have alkaline skin not acidic skin like us but its not really known where on the Ph scale it it just that its alkaline - I'm doing more searching on this to see if I can find more on it though. So given water is 7 if their skin is alkaline and above this, water will dry their skin.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Her skin appears glossy because it’s wet, I had washed the pus off to take a closer look on where it was coming from and that hole appeared.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodSpell View Post
You mentioned you're not using oils topically anymore, so I'm wondering why your hedgie's skin looks so glossy in those pics? I'd wager that a follicle which lost a quill during the likely mite infestation has developed a bacterial or fungal infection. Oils can trap bacteria and moisture against the skin, which could have contributed to the development of a skin infection. You'll probably need some antibiotics to clear this up, or antifungals depending. Can I ask how often you bathe your little one? Sometimes reducing the frequency of baths can help with dry skin issues. It seems counter intuitive, but the pH of pure water (7) is often more alkaline than the pH of natural oils that coat an animal's skin. Now I'm not sure what the pH of hedgehog skin is, but humans fall in the 4.5-5.5 range (black coffee is about 5). That means plain water can irritate skin, especially if the body's natural barrier of oils has been compromised by washing too frequently. Just a thought which could be relevant, or not.... Dry skin is a pretty common hedgie issue.
hi, her skin looks glossy because it’s wet, I washed the pus off her skin, and that’s when I found this pore, I bathed her way too often when she had a mouth infection I just wanted to keep her nice and clean, whenever I put her in water she actually would allow me to check her gums while she was in the process of healing from her gum disease, she’s all better now by the way, but I would be getting her wet every other day, and would end up bathing her about once a week, I didn’t realize the impact that had on her skin at the time and how wrong that was of me to wash her that often, when I took her to the vet a month ago I didn’t wash her for about 3 weeks and when I saw the pus I washed her again, although I cut back on the washes and wetting of the skin it’s still dry, but I know better than to wash her that often, in the past I only washed her once a month and she never had any skin issues, so this is my fault ultimately
Old 09-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

shes better now
Goblet likes this.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

Thats great! Glad shes better now.
Hedgielovers12 likes this.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in