Extreme dry skin and quill loss - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2019, 05:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Extreme dry skin and quill loss

Hello everyone, never posted on here before but have using the info for years! I have had my hog Rico for 2 years, took him on as a rescue not sure how old he is but working back through owners I guess around 4/5. Had lots of health problems recently which has resulted in steroid injections and antibiotics which is has cleared up painful rashes and sores however still suffering with massive quill loss and his skin is so dry and flaky. Have done the usual flaxseed in food and aveeno, olive oil baths but no luck. Vet insist it’s not mites but I’m concerned it’s being overlooked, will there always be red marks or can quill loss and weight loss be the only symptoms? The other thing is if he’s 5 then he’s an old man now! Can this happen just with age? Really don’t want him to suffer with something treatable 🙁 any advice would be appreciated !
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Has the vet done a skin scraping to check its definitely not mites? Could be a fungal infection even as I believe they both present dry flaky skin and quill loss. I can't remember if bacterial infections cause the flaky skin but do cause quill loss.
I'd ask the vet to do a skin scraping to check its non of these.

I don't believe old age causes quill loss they tend to just slow down with activity and stuff sorta like an old dog does
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Only time I've had an old hedgehog loose lots of quills was due to illness.

You mentioned weight loss. What kind of loss are we talking about? Have you brought up the loss of weight with your veterinarian? Is he eating less? Has his teeth been checked? What is his diet? I'm more concerned with weight loss than quill loss. Unexplained loss in weight is often the first symptom we see of illness and needs to be explained.

How long ago was the skin infection? They can continue to lose large amounts of quills for a while after as they shed damaged quills. You should see a lot of new quills poking through if that is the case.

How often are you giving him a bath? Baths can wash away the natural oils in the skin and cause more harm than good if given too often.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in