CBD Oil? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spiky_Floof<3

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2019, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default CBD Oil?

Has anyone ever used CBD oil for hedgehog dry skin/itchiness or know anything about using it?

We've been to two different vets several times over the past year for Bean's dry skin and have treated for mites, bacterial infections, and fungal infections with no result. Even natural "remedies" such as oatmeal baths and topical flaxseed oil haven't been much of a help...

Bean's skin is only mildly dry/flaky/itchy, but I'm wondering if CBD oil would be a good thing to try? I know that it's become more popular in the pet community recently, though I haven't heard of many cases where it has been given to a hedgehog and am not sure if there are any side effects/dangers in using it... If anyone has any experience/advice, I would really appreciate it!
bean.the.hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

I won’t comment on the CBD as I’ve never had experience, but does your dry kibble diet have added taurine in it? Taurine is an oil commonly used for mammal fur health, but it does have benefits for skin as well. I’d recommend giving taurine a try!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would ask a vet directly about this. It could help, or is could go very wrong. Best to speak to a professional about it.
nikki likes this.
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

If it doesnt need to be natural you could try hypocare spray or Leucillin spray which ever you cab get. They are both great for helping dry skin.

Get them to ball up and spray on the quills once or twice a week depending how bad it is.

They are both known to have mo real smell. And dont need anything else doing other than a bit of spray.

I cant comment on the cbd oil though. I have no idea if thats safe or not.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2019, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
Get them to ball up and spray on the quills once or twice a week depending how bad it is.
is spraying them while balled up the only way to apply this type of spray? I just don’t know how comfortable I would be TRYING to initiate a behavior that I’m ultimately trying to eliminate, ya know? Could they just comb the spray through their quills (this is assuming they’re comfortable with them enough to keep their quills down anyway)? Just food for thought
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2019, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Emc

The issue is that you want the oil to be on their skin, so your best chance at applying it properly is when the skills are upright which is when the hedgehog is balled up. You'll have a hard time properly applying it to their skin if their quills are laying flat, even if you comb it through.

Even the tamest of hedgehogs will ball up; it's just normal behaviour. Whenever I want to apply oil to Coco's skin, I purposely take her out when shes trying to sleep - get her at her most grumpiest time, and so she'll be more likely to stay balled up.

It's not encouraging 'bad' behaviour. Balling up is just what hedgehogs do. You dont even have to initiate the behaviour yourself; get them at a grumpy time, and they'll do it all themselves.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2019, 02:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

Exactly what emc said. Having them balled is the most effect way of putting anything onto the skin.
I mean I guess you could try just having quills raised without balling up but that would be hard.
Coming it through wont work either, because your more likely to end up just spreading it over the quills, but you want it under them on the skin.

Really balling up is natural. Holly is super tame, rarely balls up. But she still balls up whenever you wake her so that's when I do the spray on her.

Balling up is natural protective behaviour, to make themselves safe.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cbd, dry skin, itchiness, oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in