I messed up - over moisturized - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I messed up - over moisturized

My male hedgie is 1 year old and I noticed dry, flaky skin between his quills. He sratches a bit, but nothing crazy. He went to the vet about a month ago to be checked for mites (he was clear) and to receive a preventative treatment.

I've tried giving him oatmeal baths, baths with a dollop of coconut oil, nothing seems to help. Recently, I've been spraying a bit of flaxseed oil on his food every few days.

I heard that you can apply flaxseed oil directly to the skin, so I did that after his bath a few days ago. Unfortunately, I think I used too much. His quills were very wet-looking in spots, but since he HATES baths, I didn't want to subject him to getting rinsed again, so I patted him down as best as I could and left it.

It's been a few days and I've noticed that he's lost about 10-15 quills, which is very unusual for him. I decided that I should definitely rinse off the flaxseed oil, so I did that last night. He's been eating, drinking, pooping, and wheeling just fine.

Do you think he'll be all right? Was it excess oil that caused the quills to fall out? If so, why? Any ideas?
latte.the.hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Could he be quilling?
PiccChicc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Excess oil can clog pores, sometimes resulting in an infection. Keep an eye out for any residual buildup on his skin, and plan a vet visit should you begin to see any, or begin to notice a "yeasty" or "sour" smell.
HedgieHugger7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not sure if he's quilling; do hedgies quill at 1 year old? I've counted 25 fallen quills in less than a week. He seems perfectly fine though - wheeling almost all night long!

I go in for regular sniffs of my boy and he smells lovely, but I'll keep an eye out!!
latte.the.hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2018, 01:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Some hedgehogs quill at 1 year old. I just went through something very similar with my Quentin. He's been tolerant enough to let me gently pet his quills the wrong direction and actually see the new quills growing in. His quill loss has trailed off now (after a few weeks of pretty intense qulling) but he's still growing in some new quills.
HeartHome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in