Severe Skin Issues - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Severe Skin Issues

Hi everyone. A little while ago I posted about this but Badger doesn’t seem to have improved much. He has had severe dry skin for more than a month with big flakes, little bits, and big dry skin clusters/mounds on his back and face. A little while ago, he was losing a lot of quills and fur. He was also scratching constantly. I decided to take him to the vet. The vet wanted to give Badger Ivermectin, but I insisted on Revolution. He wouldn’t do a skin scraping without sedating him, so I just decided to try the Revolution and see if Badger improved. We have given Badger 2 doses so far. He is still scratching, but not nearly as much. Because of this, I thought that he had improved, but not until today I noticed that the dry skin flakes and mounds have tripled. I have tried everything from oatmeal bathes to flaxseed oil on skin and food. Now I am wondering if it could possibly be a fungal infection such as ringworm, or some kind of food allergy? I am not sure what to do now because I really would not like Badger to have to be sedated.
BadgerTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 03:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi, sorry to hear about badger's skin issue.

Did the vet five you another dose, sometimes it can take 3 doses. How long has it been since the last dose? Perhaps new mites hatched.

Other things to consider are, bedding, food and water / air quality. What bedding do you use and if fleece what kind of detergent see you using, is it one safe for sensitive skin? Has he always ate the same food? Is his skin condition something new or something he developed over time since you've had him? If the latter could also be water quality or the air quality. Another person said there hedghog had a skin infection and medicine and putting w filter on their tap got rid of the issue the following day! If you live in a dry climate, this can also dry out their skin, you could try buying a humidifier if this is the case.

If none of these things are issues, then it would be worth having the skin scraping / culture done. Provided he is healthy and relatively young he should be find. I had to have my Yuki put under anaesthetic a couple weeks ago and he bounced back by the following day. I know it's scary but if you've tried everything else then it's worth doing.

With baths, I'd try not using any products next time and just use warm water. If it is a fungal infection any products or oils will make it worse. Also limit the amount of baths you give him as this itself with dry out their skin.

Keep us posted, hoping he gets better soon!
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in