Plant Based Fungal Infection - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Charliec125

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Plant Based Fungal Infection

Hey everyone, I recently joined the forum and just wanted to share my experience in hopes that it might help others in future (or meet people who have had the same problem).

I thought my baby (Harley) was just going through the normal quilling process as she was still a baby when I got her (now she's 5 months) but she became overly grumpy and wouldn't walk on my hands or let me touch her like she used to. I noticed pieces of hair and quills with scabs at the ends coming off in her bedding so I started collecting the pieces (everyone called me weird, but this really assisted the vet when I took her in). She became bald and pink along her skirt, when she was in a ball her skin looked dry and cracked. I had done a lot of reading around the subject and still thought it was normal.

One day she finally walked on my hands and I could feel something rough along her skirt. When I looked in the light I saw an open wound and lots of blood/dried blood along her skirt. I took her to the vet the next morning and he was immediately able to put the pieces I had been keeping under the microscope and said it was a fungal infection. He asked if he could put her under to ensure there was no bacterial infections (like ringworm ). When I collected her later that day he said it was a primary fungal infection, from a plant! Harley has never been outside, nor do I own any other pets that could have spread infections. My conclusion is that I left her run around the floors of my house some nights and she is level with all the crap (for lack of a better word) we traipse in with our shoes.

Bottom line is she had 3 antibiotic injections over the coming days and I have to wash her twice a week in pyoderm (bacterial and fungal shampoo). The vet says her hair should grow back in a few weeks, the scabs have already started coming off and she seems more friendly too

If anyone else has had this, please share your timeline of healing and any pictures you may have.

Pictures:
1 - First bald dry skirt
2 - Open wound
3 - The wound goes along her whole skirt
4 - Close up
5 - All the pieces I had collected

Thank you for reading!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9186.jpg (200.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9554.jpg (222.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9572.jpg (488.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9580.jpg (248.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9581.jpg (161.7 KB, 25 views)
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Charliec125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hello and welcome

Thank you for sharing Harley's skin condition with us, I found it interesting to read (never imagined they could catch a fungal infection from a plant! Plus I think it could potentially help others who may experience a similar condition with their hedghogs at some point). It's great to hear the vet managed to find out the issue and cause, and Harley is now on her way to recovery! ^^
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in