Staph infection and biting... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2018, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Staph infection and biting...

Okay so this is my first time posting. I have a one year old albino hedgie named Snowball. About 5 months ago she started developing sores around her mouth and on all four of her paws. I took her to a vet and he had never actually seen a hedgehog, despite what the receptionist told me on the phone. I told him the situation and said from everything i researched i thought it could be staph. He basically told me that i didn't know what i was talking about because i'm just a kid. he was very rude to me and my hedgehog but prescribed me an allergy medication because even though it was nowhere on her belly he thought it was an allergic reaction. He tested for mites, saw none, but prescribed revolution anyways. he told me to take her off bedding and just use paper towels and one blanket for her to sleep in. I did that for a month but she hated it so i put her back on paper bedding and she did fine. i waited three months (so i could be sure it wasn't mites) and after watching Snowball get worse i booked another appointment with a different vet. I drove an hour and a half and got to this vet. She took snowball in for sedation so she could examine her better. She took skin scrapings from the sores and confirmed that it is staph. After i took her home, she didnt sleep for a full 24 hours. She was constantly running around her cage (but not on her wheel oddly enough) which i just attributed to the anesthesia wearing off. Snowball was prescribed Metacam twice daily for pain, Silvadene once daily as a topical, bene bac twice daily to keep her gut healthy, and clavamox twice daily to treat the infection. The day after i got her home from the vet i realized that she had been biting at her "armpit" on her chest at the base of her left leg she has chewed about a quarter sized wound. I havent seen any blood in her cage it just looks like a raw wound. I called the vet and asked what i should do and she said to keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't keep biting at it. From the 12 hours a day i'm around she doesnt seem to bite at it and when i look at it, it doesnt seem much worse. It is developing a scab but it also looks milky. Im just worried and i dont know what caused the chewing in the first place. Does anyone have advice as to what i should do to help the healing process?
Also, the sores are clearing up and she seems much better as far as staph goes.

Last edited by SnowballandAbby; 06-30-2018 at 08:46 PM.
SnowballandAbby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
biting self, itchy, staph, worried

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in