Idiopathic Dermatitis? - Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2018, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Idiopathic Dermatitis?

Hey all! Iím currently stumped with my little hedgehog, Finn, and his unknown skin condition. I noticed a solid yellow cluster forming on the right side, just below his quills. He doesnít seem to scratch at it, his activity level and diet is completely normal. I took him to the vet back in April and the vet performed an in-house cytology. The calcified yellow ďmassĒ was scrapped and only clear fluid came out upon removal. The vet said the ďmassĒ was not cancer related. We were given two types of oral medication -Flagyl and Sulfatrim - along with a topical cream called Animax Ointment. Two weeks later, we came back to review the cytology report -diagnosis: dermatitis- but now the yellow cluster has moved to the left side! We were give an antiseptic wash to be perform twice a week -washing the skin and then allowing it to sit for 20 minutes before it was washed clean- along with continuing applying the typical ointment. By our following appointment at the end of May, it was clearing up. However, that was only eight day ago and, against my high hopes, has gotten worse.

I have followed all typical allergy-type suggestions: keeping his cage -in his case my entire bedroom floor which are free of harmful objects and is sealed to prevent the little guy from getting into places he doesnít belong- cleaned daily, his t-shirts are washed with pet-friendly detergent, his travel purse -which he loves to sleep in- is cleaned daily as well, and Iím still performing the twice a week wash with cream application once a day. His food has not changed nor has the wet cat food he sometimes eats from my catís food bowl. Floor cleaner brand is Bora -has been the only brand I use since Iíve had Finn, purse cleaner is pet-friendly Lysol disinfectant wipes, cat food is Iams with 32% protein and wet cat food -at small dosages- is Fancy Feast. Finn is about 1.25 years old and I rescued him from a friend who purchased him at a pet store. Thatís all I know about his background.

Currently, I donít know how else to help him. The vet said a biopsy is the next step, but that is both highly expensive and more than likely will not produce any conclusive results. If anyone has any ideas or has been through this, Iím begging you, help a girl out with her little spiky friend! Even our highly experienced vet is baffled! Below is are photos of the yellow cluster Iím talking about.

Thank you to anyone who can help!
HedgeHog195 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2018, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Aw I'm sorry to hear you're little guy is having skin troubles. Is that the skin issue in the photos or is that yellow stuff on his skin the ointment?

The only things I can't think of to try and help his skin is to start adding a premium quality cat food. Iams is considered low quality and probably isn't much better than feeding commercial hedgehog food in all honesty. I got my boy from a pet store when he was almost 5 months and they were feeding him Mazuri hedgehog food. He had really bad dry skin flakes and bald patches. I noticed a considerable difference in his skin, coat and quills when he started eating a mix of premium cat foods that I gradually introduced to his diet so definitely give that a try. There is a recommend cat food list on here if you need more help deciding on which ones.

Also it might be worth giving him his own cage if he doesn't have one. This then should be cleaned weekly at the least, it's a nice idea to let him have free roam of your bedroom floor but as well as this not being very safe, he'll be pooping and peeing all over when he runs around. I have no idea what floor cleaner that is but is it pet safe? Chemicals in cleaners can have harsh adverse effects on our skin let alone a hedgehog who are prone to skin issues. If you're able to provide his own cage, with suitable bedding see if this has any positive improvements on his skin, as well as changing up his food.

When you used to bath him (before you were giving medications to use), what we're using to bath him with, any soaps or shampoos? I'd try only using plain water when not using medications. Recently, another member's hedgie had some kind of skin infection and she put a filter on her bath tab and used the medication wipes given by her vet and her hedgies skin issue cleared up the following day. I'm not saying this will work for your boy but it might be worth a try.

Hope his skin improves soon, keep us posted on his progress

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 06-03-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2018, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

The yellowness in the photo is the skin issue, not the ointment. With that being said, I will definitely take a look at the premium cat food that you mentioned! Changing his food was going to be my next change!

Finn has his own cage, but he does NOT like using the wheel for exercise, he has way more fun running around the floor. He does go in his cage during the day when I am not home. The cleaning supplies are pet-friendly or at least to my knowledge they are.

Before the antiseptic wash, I never bathed him with any kind of soap or wash. I simply used water from my sink. I think I'll start with changing his food and if that doesn't work, then I will look into the water filter!

Thank you so much for all of your input! I really do appreciate it!
HedgeHog195 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in