scratching & dry skin & wounds - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Mikathehedgehog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default scratching & dry skin & wounds

Hey guys!!
I do just want to preface this with the fact that we already have a vet appointment scheduled for this coming Monday, but I did just want to reach out and get some opinions

So we’ve noticed Mika has had very flaky dry skin for a while now, living in the northeast the air can be very dry in the colder months. But things have seemed to escalate over the past two weeks. She’s been itching more, but only in her cage and it started with a little scratch on her face. After I saw this I put some flax seed oil on her back hoping the scratching was still just due to her dry skin. After this happened I cleaned her whole cage, and used a bedding I hadn’t used in a long time, and after thinking about I realized it had been sitting in the garage for a little while.

A couple days later I was inspecting her and realized she has what looks like an ingrown hair behind her left ear, and she also has smaller ones along her quill line on the same side (almost like a pimple). When I saw this I got online and ordered some remedy’s from “hedgehog and friends” to try and help calm her skin (bath wash and coconut fatty acids for mouisturizing)
She seemed better that night, but today when I took her out I noticed a wound/scratch/laceration on her, inbetween her quills. It looks red and inflamed. That’s when I freaked out and called the vet - which she’s going to on Monday.

I took her whole cage apart and cleaned the entire thing, I put fleece down instead of a paper bedding (except for under her wheel- where she goes to the bathroom) and for that I used a different bedding. I also took all of the cloth out of her cage from before, which was pretty much only her old t shirt she likes to cuddle with.

Other than this she’s been eating well, her feces looks healthy and even when she’s out she’ll fall right asleep in both mine and my boyfriends hands. Her cage is warmed to around 75 degrees with a CHE with the room also keept at a constant 70 degrees.

I just wanted to see if anyone has dealt with anything similar. From what I’ve read I would guess she has mites even though she doesn’t seem to have significant quill loss. But I’m also wondering about some sort of skin infection.

I just feel so awful for my sweet girl <3
Mikathehedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

It sounds more like a skin infection to me, that's been irritated by the oil. Don't use anything but water on her skin for now and ask the vet to do a skin scraping and a culture to see if there is any fungus or bacteria on her skin.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

to me it sounds like mites, but i am no expert. For now, asking the vet is probably the best you can do.
Apollo_Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Got back from the vet this afternoon mika was NOT HAVING IT. She stayed in the tightest ball I’ve ever seen her in after the vet woke her up very abruptly. The vet was very condescending and made me feel like I had no idea what I was talking about. Needless to say I will not be seeing her again. But the vet tech we saw was a sweetheart. (This is not the vet I had planned on seeing but it seemed like she was the first one with an appointment open and I’ve been so worried)

She did prescribe 2 doses of revolution (one for today and one for a month from today) for the possibility of mites

As well as antibiotics - for 14 days two times a day for the little sores she has.

Fingers crossed!! Thanks for the opinions guys
Old 05-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

These are the two spots (sores) she has on her back, hopefully the antibiotic will help clear them up.
I just wanted to post them on here so anyone who is going through something similar could see.

Ugh this poor lil girl
Old 08-07-2018, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Fellow Nor'easter here. There's a product around called Vermont's Original Bag Balm that's good for open sores like that. You clean the wound, spray it with antiseptic and then seal it with the bag balm and it keeps it clean and keeps the area moist. It's good for helping stuff like that heal. We recently had to drain an ingrown quill from King Robert and 4 days onward it looks like it's mostly healed without refilling. Though just to be clear, I'm not saying this should replace the antibiotic regimen, it should supplement it.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in