Hedgehog pimple/wart? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kerryk4

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2018, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog pimple/wart?

I play with my Zed every day, and last saturday i picked him up and he had a big pink pimple-looking bump on his face. I was just at a vet for a bacteria he had and the vet said they could look at it but it would be best to watch it first to see if it goes away on its own. I looked today and found another one i didnt see before under his chin. They came up over night but are relatively large. I can touch them and he doesn't seem bothered so it doesn't seem to hurt him, but they are really unpleasant looking. I'm wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this and what the outcome was? He's currently taking antibiotics for his infection but this was all done after the bump was noticed. The vet said he had never seen a bump like that on a hedgie before, and he didn't seem really unknowledgeable or anything like that. Do hedgie's get pimples? I've read about ingrown hairs and what not but its strange he just got 2 in the same 2 days. The vet said they can do tests to see but that required putting him under which they didn't want to do unless it was necessary. I have money to pay for it but was going to wait and see before jumping to conclusions. One day it looked bigger, then smaller, then bigger again so it's hard to tell. i have the money to test it so i'm not just being cheap, i just wanted to see if it would resolve itself. The pic attached is of the one on the nose. the one under the chin looks exactly the same. I know hedgie's have a slight bump under the chin, but this is different in addition to that bump and off center. Please help! I am so worreid about my boy, probably stressed out with the infection and now this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bump1.jpg (173.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg bump2.jpg (61.3 KB, 33 views)
kerryk4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Did the vet check to see if it was cancerous?

Also, the one under his chin may not be what you are thinking. All hedgehogs have a bump under their chin/jaw.

autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2018, 01:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

The bump under his chin like i said is not the one that people know hedgie's have. It's big and pink just like the one on the nose in addition to the normal bump hedgies have. It's more to the side. I could be wrong though. This bump is new. Also no the vet did not test yet, he said since he was not familiar with it but that I should wait a day or so and see if its something ingrown that will work itself out. and it would be a good idea to test it soon especially if anything changes really but its a new thing and hard to tell cuz it looks different from different angles so I can't tell really if it's getting bigger or what. I've attached new pictures attempting to get the chin one in there. It's hard to get good pics with one hand and a squirmy hedgie. I definitely plan to go back and see the vet soon as in this week, especially if anything with the bumps change. I just wanted to know if anyone at all had prior experience with something like this. Going back to the vet is definitely in the plans especially since he is still struggling with fecal matters hence his meds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bup3.jpg (140.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg bup4.jpg (177.7 KB, 21 views)

Old 05-15-2018, 02:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Aww poor thing, I've never seen or read about a similar looking pimple on a hedgie. Hopefully someone more experienced will know what they could be. If they get bigger or change definitely take him back in as soon as they do. Hopefully they'll dry up and scab over.

What bacteria infection did he have? Could it be related, as in he's transferring the infection when he scratches?

Re his fecal problem ~ Try giving him a probiotic like benebac to settle his stomach whilst he's on meds especially antibiotics. Need to wait and give 2 hours after his medication, once a day. Just sprinkle a little on his food. It really helps my boy anytime he gets a bout of green poop.

Keep us posted on your boy's issues. I hope they're nothing serious ♡
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2018, 02:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the concern @yukidama's mama. I've been giving him bene bac. He had clostridium i believe it was called? There was lots of blood in his stool. Fecal tests came back negative for parasites at least, but lots of clostridium bacteria so he is currently on metronidazole for it. And it might be possible. I noticed the bump beffore i noticed the constipated behavior and then the blood. It all happened around the same 2 days so i think theres definitely a chance it's related. I can't find anything close to it. The vet I took him to was off a list on this site who seemed pretty good. There is an animal hospital nearby that I know treats hedgehogs and I'm wondering if they might know more, it sounds like its pretty odd though. I feel terrible because I don't know how to help him. He's my first hedgehog ever and he's only about 6 months old and he's only been with me for 4 of those months. I hope it isn't anything serious but I'm ready to take him in if it doesn't clear up soon.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Oh wow, it's good you took him right in and got treatment straightaway. Hopefully the antibiotics will help clear the pimples too if they are also bacteria related. How many more days does he have the antibiotics for? It might be worth getting a second opinion if they don't start to look any better or he starts getting more pop up.

Is his behaviour still normal otherwise, eating and drinking, wheeling etc? Just make sure he stays nice and warm and is eating/drinking a sufficient amount still. Sounds like he's in good hands
Old 05-15-2018, 02:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

I noticed the symptoms of the bacteria saturday and took him in sunday morning when the vet was open. He's taken 2 days of his antibiotics (4doses) out of what will be 7 days. He is still eating drinking and moving around plenty. His cage stays warm. It is only 2 days in so it is hard to tell if things are working yet, he is still having bad symptoms of constipation but less blood I believe. There are still 5 days to see. Thanks again for your input!
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hopefully his symptoms will improve in the next couple of days then, once the antibiotics have kicked in. Keep us posted ♡
Old 07-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mine is having the same red pimples. Did they ever go away?
Did you take it to the vet?
irene1539 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you have any questions feel free to create your own thread ^^

Tags
bump, health concern, lump, pimple, skin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in