Dandruff/Dry skin, AND hair shedding? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dandruff/Dry skin, AND hair shedding?

My hedgehog Periwinkle has recently and suddenly been experiencing both shedding skin and fur. She doesn’t have tattered ears, but she does have some dry skin in the middle of her head and behind her ears. I had her on her back just now on my duvet and when I picked her up there was dandruff all over. The hair shedding isn’t as prominent, it’s unnoticable on her body but there’s a decent amount of hair on her fleece liners and on my pants after I handle her. Winky is about 6 months old and I don’t bathe her excessively, when I do I use aveeno oatmeal wash. She’s never been outside except travelling in a carrier to and from the car. Half of her cage is fleece liner and half is carefresh bedding, but she’s never had a problem with the carefresh. Also she’s already done her quilling. Could this be mites? I don’t know what causes them but nothing has changed in her lifestyle/habitat. Also I read sometimes in the spring hedgehogs will shed hair more? Doesn’t really explain the dandruff though. I’m just hoping it isn’t mites or anything. What can I do to prevent this, and is she okay??
Thank you for any help!! 🙂
hedgie_lover24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

I will probably use a vet, mine told me this can be mite sings(im not saying this is you case), but to make sure it isnt, go to the vet, he will give you the best answser!

Hyrum75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Dandruff is our problem too... I don't know how to solve it... I tried searching for the shampoo to fix the situation. I think it should be with moisturizing effect and do not contain any harmful chemicals:
https://mystraightener.com/best-dandruff-shampoo/
Does anybody know what shampoos from the list can be used for that purpose?
ClaireP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Unless you know what is causing the dry skin I wouldn't be treating it with any kind of shampoo. You need to make a vet appointment so they can diagnose the underlying cause and then decide on the proper treatment.

There is no way for us to know for sure what shampoos on that list are hedgehog safe.
shetland likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in